Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T14 Chances? 3.1 GPA, URM, 6 yrs F/T work, hopefully 170 LSAT  (Read 2179 times)

amassherst

• View Profile
I've been working full-time in Education since Jan '04 and I hope to start law school in 2010.  This past December I took my first practice exam and scored 154.  Been studying with Kaplan books for months and aim for 170 on September LSAT.  I messed up in undergrad at a top20 liberal arts where I failed classes senior year because aLOT of stuff happening (addendum).  Finished senior year with part-time classes, F/T work at a large state university and transferred the credits to my liberal arts.  That's years behind me and I've been working a good gig where I travel internationally every year and have major responsibilities.  College admission work.  I oversee our international student recruitment.

I'm applying next fall to some T14s (probably Georgetown, Michigan, Penn, Columbia), then BU, BC (my two top choices), GWU, American with Northeastern being my safety.  I used to prowl LSN religiously looking for hardcore splitters like me at top schools and there's always one or two here and there.  Would I need to be in the mid-170's to have some shot at T14?  It's so unpredictable.  Northwestern used to top my list since they're friendly to work experience but I've stricken it for personal reasons.  Any insight?   Thanks!

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: T14 Chances? 3.1 GPA, URM, 6 yrs F/T work, hopefully 170 LSAT
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »
I've been working full-time in Education since Jan '04 and I hope to start law school in 2010.  This past December I took my first practice exam and scored 154.  Been studying with Kaplan books for months and aim for 170 on September LSAT.  I messed up in undergrad at a top20 liberal arts where I failed classes senior year because aLOT of stuff happening (addendum).  Finished senior year with part-time classes, F/T work at a large state university and transferred the credits to my liberal arts.  That's years behind me and I've been working a good gig where I travel internationally every year and have major responsibilities.  College admission work.  I oversee our international student recruitment.

I'm applying next fall to some T14s (probably Georgetown, Michigan, Penn, Columbia), then BU, BC (my two top choices), GWU, American with Northeastern being my safety.  I used to prowl LSN religiously looking for hardcore splitters like me at top schools and there's always one or two here and there.  Would I need to be in the mid-170's to have some shot at T14?  It's so unpredictable.  Northwestern used to top my list since they're friendly to work experience but I've stricken it for personal reasons.  Any insight?   Thanks!

What flavor URM?  (Yes, it does matter.)
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
I'm a black male.  Immigrant family, but I am the only one born in the U.S.  Not first to go to college nor grad school.  But, yeah, flavor?  Umm, chocolate. 

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 05:45:26 PM »
I'm a black male.  Immigrant family, but I am the only one born in the U.S.  Not first to go to college nor grad school.  But, yeah, flavor?  Umm, chocolate. 

Have you done any grad work since you graduated - you want to be able to show schools that your difficult academic days are in fact behind you, and were just a blip. 

You might want to post this on the BLSD chances thread, as they have a lot more experience with Black/AA admission that do I, but from what I've read over there, with a 165-168, you'd probably have a pretty good shot at the lower T14.  Break into the 170s, and you probably have at least a decent shot at CCN on down, an outside shot at Harvard. 

I broke into the T14 with a 165/2.85 + extensive grad work/WE, but I'm probably an anomaly.  Just try and get your LSAT as high as possible

Good luck.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »
Ditto MBW.  If you get a 170, you do have an outside shot at Harvard.  I got into Harvard and the majority of the T14 with a 3.3/171 (also similar work experience).

However, this is all conjecture until you get a real LSAT score.  Go study as much as possible and do lots of practice questions.  Good luck!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 10:12:14 AM »
Thanks!  I'll work on it.