Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: wheregeorge.com  (Read 5892 times)

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
wheregeorge.com
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:15:07 AM »
I've seen bills with that website on it to track it for awhile now. Isn't that defacing money? Isn't that a federal crime enforced by the secret service? If so why dont they get arrested for it? Also, how about those machines on Mackinaw island that turn pennies into belt buckles, yeah pennies are worth a lot less than bills but in theory isnt that a federal offense too? Just a thought in my old noodle is all. Any opinions on it? ???

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: wheregeorge.com
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 04:10:31 AM »
Since it is a law then why dosnt the fed shutdown groups like wheregeorge for defacing money?
I guess I can see why they wouldnt use taxpayer money to have cops shutdown all penny pressing machines, but you'd think that they would at least enfoce the bills and ask the locals to stop using the machine and fine the companies that make the machines untill they stop doing so. Then again for the pennies(since it costs more to make a penny than its worth anyways) the govt could probally turn a modest profit just taxing owners of penny smashing machines at 5 or 10 cents per penny smashed since the shops turnaround and sell them as souveniers at a dollar a pop anyways.

I am suprised the websites dont at least get shutdown by the FCC for promoting criminal acts against US curency.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 04:23:32 AM »
5 or 10 cents per penny

I like the way you think

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 04:45:22 AM »
Thanks. I went to the wheres george site again and found their offical justification being that in their opinion they aren't defacing it beyond use. Seems like skating on thin ice to me. A judge can still convict someone was vandalism on a wall even if they thought it was "art". Their offical explanation for their actions can be read at http://www.wheresgeorge.com/faq.php 

Whats weird is they give a link to the place that you can report them to.

http://www.bep.treas.gov/document.cfm/18/104/

I'm assuming that at least someone has already told the Treasury Dept about their site by now and its still  up so whatever on that one I guess.

As far as when I see penny smashing machines in the future I'll probally keep note just to see what the Secret Services responce is to it. Its odd how the same group that protects the presidant, arguably the most impportant job in america, also enforces a rule where you cant get more than 6months max in jail for(according to their site)
I think a teacher told me once that it was due to the fact that they also protect former presidants graves and the bills have presidants faces on them. In theory then, the money with Susan B Anthony and Sachajawee(sorry if I spelled it wrong) wouldnt be protected by the secret service and only the dept of treasury I guess huh?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:14:31 PM »
Oh, perhaps there's this idea that government only has limited resources, and these limited resources should be spent on more important things.  Just a thought.   :P

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 01:24:15 PM »
The american dollar is loosing value by the minute, and trying to protect the ones in circulation against being further devalued isnt important? What is? They have the time to investigate and arrest illegally downloaded songs dont they? Which is worse defacing the US dollar or stealing a penny from snoop-poodle?

Oh, perhaps there's this idea that government only has limited resources, and these limited resources should be spent on more important things.  Just a thought.   :P

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 02:56:33 PM »
The american dollar is loosing value by the minute, and trying to protect the ones in circulation against being further devalued isnt important? What is? They have the time to investigate and arrest illegally downloaded songs dont they? Which is worse defacing the US dollar or stealing a penny from snoop-poodle?

I know that my knowledge of economics is rusty, but I think you're conflating the concept of the value (as in economic worth) of the dollar with its prestige.

If they destroy currency, one would think that there would be less of a supply, and therefore it would increase the value of the dollar rather than decrease it!  :)

gzl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 03:38:34 PM »
"The american dollar is loosing value by the minute, and trying to protect the ones in circulation against being further devalued isnt important? What is?"

Shoddy reasoning above.  The value of the American dollar isn't lessened by defacing or even destroying individual bills.  In fact, just the opposite argument could be made: every dollar bill destroyed is one less bill in circulation, making the remaining ones that much more valuable.  It doesn't exactly work that way in reality, but in principle you have things reversed: destroying actual bills of currency is actually a selfless act whereby I lose a dollar of spendable currency to help increase the value of everyone else's currency by x trillionth of a percent.  So help the economy, burn every "wheresgeorge" dollar you come across, out of respect.  Kinda like a flag that's touched the ground.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:23:43 PM »
While I am no where near rich enough to burn any money, I can see your point from a national economy perspective. That being said I still find it odd how the feds and locals will spend time on one thing and not others that brag about their crimes. They went after Napster on far lesser grounds.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:10:04 PM »
They went after Napster on far lesser grounds.
:D :D :D
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."