Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Writing Sample Question...  (Read 477 times)

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Writing Sample Question...
« on: June 28, 2009, 01:28:30 PM »
I've been told by a couple profs that roughly 5-10 pages is what employers are looking for. My question is, has anyone sent two shorter samples that collectively fall within that page limit range?

I have some Motions for Summary Judgment from my first job this summer that I would like to use, but the argument portions of them are no more than 4 pages. I'd like to use one of them and then 4-5 pages of a predictive memo I wrote in LRW. I thought this might be good because it will provide a bit of a contrast (1 from work, 1 from school and one persuasive, one predictive) while still not being more than one would be willing to glance at.

Is this practice frowned upon? 

Thanks for any feedback.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Sample Question...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »
Don't think it will matter much.  They just want to see that you are a competent writer.  You can see that from 4-5 pages.  I doubt anyone has been hired based upon their writing sample. 

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:27:37 AM »
It's been my experience that most employers wont' even read the whole sample but rather flip to a random section to check your writing.  So I don't imagine a relatively short length would be a problem.  But don't ignore it if an employer specifically says they want a certain number of pages.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies but I guess the crux of my question is: Is sending two shortish samples weird? Should I stick to just sending one, whether it be 4 pages or 10?