Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal Question  (Read 453 times)

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Legal Question
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:23:11 PM »
I am looking for advice from you guys. I was selected to be an Officer in the Air Force and am doing that now before law school. With that I get a Top Secret security clearance which involves a heavy background investigation. I have run into a problem with my apartment complex. One of my roommates had a bag of marijuana and a pipe laying out on a table in our living room during a maintenence inspection. They photographed it and now its in everyone who lives in my apartment's files. I talked to them, the manager said I was guilty by association, but he said he, "didnt think it was mine, and has a good idea of whose it is." I had my parents contact him and I wrote a letter to him saying that It wasnt mine. He told me a couple days ago that it was removed from the file, along with another worker in there. One of my roommates works in the leasing office, and just checked our files today. He said the picture of the marijuana is still in there, even after the manager said it was gone. I have tried to get the corporate offices number, they said they cant release it. Is there anything I can do legally to remove it so this doesnt mess up my future as an Air Force officer, or am I at the mercy of the management? Thanks for any advice you can give.

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »
How does removing the picture from the file stop your neighbors, roommates, or the landlord from saying something to whomever is conducting interviews (if they do)?  It's very strange that an apartment manager would go to such lengths to document something like this given that he gives up plausible reliability of drug use in one of the apartments he manages.  Stranger still, knowing there is drug use going on in your apartment, you have a roommate that has access to the very "evidence" you are concerned about.

gl

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Question
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »
It will definitely come up when federal agents do in-person or phone interviews with your neighbors, building manager, etc., as it should. You should be upfront about it, tell the truth (say it was your roommate's if that's the truth)--just be straight with them. Top Secret clearance is nothing to joke about, and 18 usc 1001(a)(2) is a harsh mistress.

I am impressed by your LSD legal research.