Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Writing Sample Question...  (Read 2145 times)

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Writing Sample Question...
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »
I've been told by a couple profs that roughly 5-10 pages is what employers are looking for. My question is, has anyone sent two shorter samples that collectively fall within that page limit range?

I have some Motions for Summary Judgment from my first job this summer that I would like to use, but the argument portions of them are no more than 4 pages. I'd like to use one of them and then 4-5 pages of a predictive memo I wrote in LRW. I thought this might be good because it will provide a bit of a contrast (1 from work, 1 from school and one persuasive, one predictive) while still not being more than one would be willing to glance at.

Is this practice frowned upon?   :(

Thanks for any feedback.

hawkpilot

• View Profile
Re: Writing Sample Question...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »
Caveat up front:  I am a rising 2L as well, so take this for what it's worth.

I think you are good sending 2 samples.  I was worrying about my resume and came across the below link.  I have heard all of the "hard and fast" rules, but the Yale career services link I stumbled upon helped ease some frustration.
http://www.law.yale.edu/studentlife/cdoalumniresumeadvice.asp

Basically, your resume and writing sample are your one opportunity to get your foot in the door.  There are no "hard and fast" rules.  I'll put it this way.  If you include two writing samples and the firm doesn't invite you for an interview, it is most likely not because of the inclusion of a 2nd sample.  My two cents.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:14:09 PM »
I'd probably stick with one sample if it is 5-10 pages.  Use whichever is more well-written.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »
I am using a 12 page writ of cert to the state supreme court I wrote over the course of this summer job.  I debated just sending the argument section (its fairly short as the argument was not very complex) but decided to just send the whole thing. I figure if they truly only want to read a few pages, they can skim it or only read portions.  I think the key is to send a QUALITY writing sample, regardless of length or subject matter. Perhaps if they have 5-10 pages underlined, in bold and with an exclamation mark after it, I'd only send that many, but I figure most employers are flexible.
Tulane Class of 2011