Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 164, 3.0 --- Chances (CA schools)? And of these, which?  (Read 590 times)

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
164, 3.0 --- Chances (CA schools)? And of these, which?
« on: June 27, 2009, 10:14:20 PM »
Hello all,
Sorry for another one of these threads. I know LSN and LSAC calculator have told me everything that you can, but I have a unique situation.
While my UGPA is 2.9-3.0, it is not very indicative. My first 2 years were mid 2.0s, and my last 2 years were mid 3.0s. I know I can address this in an addendum, but how do you think they will look at my numbers?
I am obviously capable of 3.5 work, but did not earn it for all 4 years. (I was at the same school the whole time)
Most Adcomm's have replied to this inquiry with "we look at all 4 years but the last 2 are most important and any improvement is seen positively..." Thanks, I think?
How do you think they will see my GPA? There is no real pattern or hard courses, even subjects like Econ were in the C's and now in the A's...

I scored a 164 on my LSAT the first time which was disappointing since my practice tests were 166-170. But I don't think I will re-write it. I missed 8 on the very first section, hahaha... and that section (games) is usually my best. Damn.

I am not a URM, but I have good LORs (1 lawyer, 1 former employer, 1 professor) and a solid personal statement I believe. [would you guys change the LORs at all?] I also have the usual campus involvement - orientation leader, intramural and other event volunteers, etc etc, even though these softs don't matter much. But I was a delegate from my school to 2 Harvard University conferences hosted in Kuala Lumpur and Seoul.

Finally, I am from the US and completed HS in Seattle, WA. But I completed my UG at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. Do you think they will look at this any differently?

Schools I am interested in:
10-30% chance -
Fordham
UC-Hastings
UC-Davis
UC-Irvine

50% or greater chance -
Loyola Law School
Pepperdine
Santa Clara Univ
Univ of San Diego

Are there other schools you think I should try my luck at?
I am obviously most interested in LA or SF, with Fordham as the exception. But if there is a good school that weighs my strengths (not that I have any, really) a little more, I will consider.
Of those above, likely down to Loyola and Santa Clara (assuming I do not get into a 20% chance school), which has the stronger reputation within their community? I think they both suck nationally but are quite respected in their cities.

Thanks so much,
W

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 164, 3.0 --- Chances?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:56:52 PM »
How long ago did you graduate from UG?  If 2 years or less, you should really have two academic LORs.  Law schools are interested in if you'll be a good law student and not so much a lawyer's assessment of your capability.  I think that would probably be a very weak letter.

They will see that you have a positive grade trend, but you won't really be given any sort of bonus for that, nor for your GPA at UBC.

If interested in the Bay Area, I'd also apply to USF.  USD isn't really that highly portable out of San Diego, but if you want to settle there, it's a great school (in a beautiful city!).  Loyola and Santa Clara are, I think, equally respected in their respective markets.

Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 164, 3.0 --- Chances?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:21:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I will be graduating in August and will take 1 year off before LS.
I will try to find a second academic LOR. Do you think this even if that lawyer was at a top 10 BigLaw firm?

I think you are right about USD... good, but only in SD.