Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.79/172 but... substandard Undergraduate institution?  (Read 2155 times)

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 3.79/172 but... substandard Undergraduate institution?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 02:51:04 PM »
Thanks for your help all!

I'll definitely consider applying to the schools you mentioned, I would love to get into the University of Chicago but never really thought that would be a possibility (from what I've heard, it's for ultra-academics, a group I can't say I belong to). Also, yes, I suppose I am not giving my UG enough credit, as it definitely helped me to achieve my score. I'm just worried, though: for anyone who attends one of these 'T14' schools, are they tailored towards super-intelligent, no-fun-allowed students? I'm not saying I don't appreciate the joys of learning and classes, but I wouldn't want to pay an incredible sum of money to find I'm completely out of my depth.

I'm going to a T14 (well, in the fall...I'm a 0L now), and I have to say that I'm not a super-intelligent, no-fun-allowed type of girl :)  Really, I had the same fears about law schools but when you go to Admitted Student events, you'll get a really good sense of the other law students.  There were some schools that I didn't vibe with and others where I felt comfortable immediately.  I visited a school with a hardcore academic reputation and while some people were more than intense, there were also plenty of people with whom I got along that let me know if I decided to go there, I'd have a niche somewhere. 

I know you'll be in Europe, but is there any way you can take a trip back to visit some schools.  Law school is such an investment -- not just financially, but emotionally too.  You'll want to find a place where you can be happiest (note: I didn't say happy because some people think it's impossible to be truly happy in law school) while still having all the things you want from a school (perhaps job placement, clerkship placement potential, portability, etc).
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Sprintz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »
Hahaha, fair enough, I would agree on the 'learned so much about myself and other cultures' bull that most people who study abroad spout on and on about. Having lived in America for 7 years, I can say that only recently have I begun to understand the Midwestern culture.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »
Actually, T14 schools are mostly filled with average, privileged, upper middle class white kids.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 10:20:44 AM »
Actually, T14 all schools are mostly filled with average, privileged, upper middle class white kids.

fixt
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »
Very true, though having attended a lower ranked school before transferring to a T14, I will say the proportion of privileged, silver spooner type students here is definitely higher.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 09:19:19 AM »
Very true, though having attended a lower ranked school before transferring to a T14, I will say the proportion of privileged, silver spooner type students here is definitely higher.

I think the asests your family has goes a long way at imporving your chances of landing at a better law school (i.e acess to better education k-12. better UG, more money for test prep, extra time becuase you don't work ect.) So its not suprsing to me that top law schools are filled with more privladged than otherwise
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 01:12:41 AM »
Thanks for your help all!

I'll definitely consider applying to the schools you mentioned, I would love to get into the University of Chicago but never really thought that would be a possibility (from what I've heard, it's for ultra-academics, a group I can't say I belong to). Also, yes, I suppose I am not giving my UG enough credit, as it definitely helped me to achieve my score. I'm just worried, though: for anyone who attends one of these 'T14' schools, are they tailored towards super-intelligent, no-fun-allowed students? I'm not saying I don't appreciate the joys of learning and classes, but I wouldn't want to pay an incredible sum of money to find I'm completely out of my depth.

I'm going to a T14 (well, in the fall...I'm a 0L now), and I have to say that I'm not a super-intelligent, no-fun-allowed type of girl :)  Really, I had the same fears about law schools but when you go to Admitted Student events, you'll get a really good sense of the other law students.  There were some schools that I didn't vibe with and others where I felt comfortable immediately.  I visited a school with a hardcore academic reputation and while some people were more than intense, there were also plenty of people with whom I got along that let me know if I decided to go there, I'd have a niche somewhere. 

I know you'll be in Europe, but is there any way you can take a trip back to visit some schools.  Law school is such an investment -- not just financially, but emotionally too.  You'll want to find a place where you can be happiest (note: I didn't say happy because some people think it's impossible to be truly happy in law school) while still having all the things you want from a school (perhaps job placement, clerkship placement potential, portability, etc).

[twiddles thumbs]
[whistles]
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 01:34:05 AM »

[twiddles thumbs]
[whistles]

I was obviously talking exclusively about you :)
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 01:37:39 AM »
I was just as obviously taking credit! Weird!
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »
UChicago is definitely possible....and trust me, we're not all hardcore study people (though some people are...as in any law school). this past year, i went to class, um, rarely. i went to a much lower-regarded undergrad than UIUC though it wasn't "substandard" (yay UC system!).