Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I write about growing up in the Middle East?  (Read 1218 times)

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
Should I write about growing up in the Middle East?
« on: June 26, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »
Just wondering if you guys think this is a good topic. I was born and raised in the United States till I Was 7 years old, but I moved to Syria in the middle east for a few years of my life. I would like to write about how this has affected me personally in the sense that I was exposed to two totally different cultures and was forced to adapt. Also, it provided me with the opportunity to experience the freedoms we enjoy in the United States only to be stripped of those freedoms when I moved to Syria(Denied freedom of speech, of press, etc)

One more thing I want to talk about is how in Syria I defended the US to everyone I met, and In the US I defend Syria to everyone I meet and this has made me a good debater.

Sorry if this post is all over the place, I am usually a good writer, just kinda tired today lol  :P

Thanks for your input!

rdswift

• View Profile
    • Facebook
    • Email
Re: Should I write about growing up in the Middle East?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 01:23:01 AM »
I think it's a good angle. My brother did something similar when applying, and I imagine when I write my PS I'll follow suit. We grew up in Dubai (+1 year in Saudi) from a very young age and didn't move to the US until about 97/98, so he wrote sort of the reverse of where you're coming from: growing up without all the freedoms and then experiencing those freedoms upon moving to the US. I'd do it, but I'd say it can't be all that you include.

DiscussLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »
It's a great idea. Good Luck!

writetrackad

• info@writetrackadmissions.com | (888) WRIT-TRK
    • View Profile
    • Write Track Admissions
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »
Nitrox99,

I think writing about your experience in the Middle East, particularly if you have an interest in the region or intentional law, is a great idea considering recent socioppolitical developments.  In short, the Middle East is a "hot" area with regard to the law, and articulating a novel and powerful story that relates the region, or is set in it, will be an original read for the adcom.  I am of Middle Eastern descent, and wrote my law school statement many years ago about my experience growing up in te region.  Currently, I am head consultant of Write Track Admissions, and my company has helped a number of candidates get into the top law schools for several years.  Our service is personalized and geared toward optimizing the quality of your personal statement.  If you need more help, please email me at info@writetrackadmissions.com with your statement draft - I can indeed provide you with a free assessment of your statement, and also share with you some samples statements of last year's clients who were admitted to Harvard, Yale, and Cal-Berkeley, among other programs.
_____________________________ _____
Write Track Law Admissions
Admission Expert | www.writetrackadmissions.com
info@writetrackadmissions.com
Get Noticed, Get In