Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: deferring enrollment  (Read 2080 times)

sillysassafrass

• View Profile
deferring enrollment
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »
Has anybody heard of anyone deferring a year and keeping their scholarship? I would ask the admissions office but they are closed...
In: UW, L&C$$$,Indiana U$$$,Univ Colorado$,U Denver $$$, U Oregon $, Utah $$$, Baylor $$$$, Tulane $$$$, Illinois $$$, Temple $$, Boston College, St. Louis U $$$$, UC Davis, UNM
Denied: Berkeley
WL: U Texas, Duke, Northwestern
3.95 GPA, 158+165 LSAT, 5 years NEPA experience since UG

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: deferring enrollment
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »
Has anybody heard of anyone deferring a year and keeping their scholarship? I would ask the admissions office but they are closed...

My hunch is it will vary from school to school and will depend on two things: a binding deferral and state vs. private schools. My guess is if they defer you with money you will have to sighing a binding contract to attend next year and not be able to reapply if that was your plan. Second I think private schools might be more willing to do this than public schools. With the economy the way it is states are cutting their education budgets and state schools may have no idea how much money they are going to have for next year’s class. This year’s money is already allocated, but next year is up in the air. Best thing is just call and ask on Monday.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

sillysassafrass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »
I don't want to reapply, I just want to save up money by working another year. In addition my job is having a hard time right now with losing people, and the projects still need to get out. I may be more comfortable emotionally as well seeing as I am going through a turbulant break-up at the moment. This is a private school, who previously told me they overspent this year. Kind of a bummer I didn't call them about this earlier, since then I would have an idea if I need to find housing in the State my lawschool is in, or if I could find new housing here in my current town.

Thanks for the response.
In: UW, L&C$$$,Indiana U$$$,Univ Colorado$,U Denver $$$, U Oregon $, Utah $$$, Baylor $$$$, Tulane $$$$, Illinois $$$, Temple $$, Boston College, St. Louis U $$$$, UC Davis, UNM

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »
You have to do what is best for you emotionally and otherwise. Its your call.

I do have a question though, you mentioned "saving up money" if you have a scholarship why the need to save up? Wouldn't you be putting yourself deeping in the hole by working and loosing the scholarship(if you are in fact at risk of that)?

As for deferment, dosnt that year still end up counting against the number of years that you are allowed to complete your degree in?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 03:07:59 PM »

I do have a question though, you mentioned "saving up money" if you have a scholarship why the need to save up? Wouldn't you be putting yourself deeping in the hole by working and loosing the scholarship(if you are in fact at risk of that)?

As for deferment, dosnt that year still end up counting against the number of years that you are allowed to complete your degree in?

No.  Why would that count if you haven't actually taken a class  ???

Yeah, I agree with what Matthies said.  But if you go and save up money, will that have any effect on your financial aid (like less grant money because you'll be less needy)?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »

No.  Why would that count if you haven't actually taken a class  ???

Yeah, I agree with what Matthies said.  But if you go and save up money, will that have any effect on your financial aid (like less grant money because you'll be less needy)?

As far as I know, most merit aid is NOT transferable with a deferment (though, of course you should check with the school). Also, Mona brings up a good point, in that if you save up money, your need based aid will likely also be reduced. While I agree that you should do everything that is in the best interests of your emotional health, financially, this might not be the best move.

sillysassafrass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 05:33:51 PM »
The scholarship I recieved was merit-based, not considered "need based". Besides that, I would be working at the same job I was working this past year, so my income on my FAFSA would basically be what it was this year, so I would imagine that my eligibility for the Stafford loan (what $$$ was subsidized and what amount was not) would be similar to this year. I slacked off on saving money up this fall due to unneccessary spending, but have cut back this spring and could carry that over to next year.

I am planning on attending school this fall, was just wondering my options. On other discussion boards on this website I see that people are deferring, just didn't know if anybody had in my situation.

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 06:01:15 PM »
You'd be better served asking the folks in the financial aid department about this at the school you received a scholarship.  They've heard it all and I have yet to ask a question that was held against me.

It couldn't hurt to ask.  What's the worst that happens?

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 01:49:10 PM »
I did this.

I'm about to start at a private school in the Southeast this Fall. I was accepted there last year with a $12,500 merit scholarship. I asked if I could defer (I was living and working abroad and learninga  foreign language) and they said OK. I had to pay $1,000 to hold my seat, and another $1,000 to hold it again the next year. I also had to reapply, but that was just a formality. I'm glad I did defer because they actually jacked up my scholarship this yar to $20,000 a year. I don't imagine that's common, but it happened with me. You really just need to check with the school, and it also depends on your reason. If they say no it doesn't hurt to ask.