Law School Discussion

Judge me and my choices

Judge me and my choices
« on: July 12, 2009, 05:29:17 AM »

I  have a 3.78 from a small second tier private school, and a 155. A masters degree in Human Rights Law from the University of Oslo, and a really good job working with human rights law. 2 years working experience in that field. Here are the schools I will be applying to:

University of California, Berkeley, School of Law

University of California, Hastings College of the Law

University of Colorado Law School

Lewis & Clark Law School

University of Maine School of Law

University of Miami School of Law

University of Oregon School of Law

University of San Diego--School of Law

University of San Francisco School of Law

Santa Clara University School of Law

University of South Carolina School of Law

Wake Forest University School of Law

William & Mary Law School

I LOVE the idea of spending the rest of my life in Portland Maine, the city is perfect. Although after moving from CO to MN to Norway, I the idea of sunny weather in CA sounds better. BUT I want a slower paced less expensive life style then California requires? Plus I want a big house someday...and would prefer to buy sooner rather than later. I don't think that is possible.

My partner in life will follow with me.  He demands that we settle somewhere where we can surf. Which might sound silly, but it is a lifestyle choice that I agree with....so most of the schools are near the coast, as that is where we want to end up.

Hawaii, I really don't think I will end up there, but hell three years in law school in Hawaii... I am not sure if I could get a  job afterwards anywhere else, but it might be worth the risk.

I am also wondering about third tier schools Charolette has already offered me a 50% ride scholarship... but I don't think my lsat is high enough to get full rides, which is what it would take for me to go, I think...but really 50%...  I could possibly get out of law school dept free,  and be in a small nice city??

Re: Judge me and my choices
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 08:08:34 PM »
University of California, Berkeley, School of Law- No

University of California, Hastings College of the Law- Maybe a waitlist.  Maybe.

University of Colorado Law School- No

Lewis & Clark Law School- Yes

University of Maine School of Law- Yes

University of Miami School of Law- Yes

University of Oregon School of Law- Yes

University of San Diego--School of Law- A waitlist

University of San Francisco School of Law- A good shot

Santa Clara University School of Law- Waitlist, maybe admit

University of South Carolina School of Law- yes

Wake Forest University School of Law- No

William & Mary Law School- No

It just matters where you want to be.  Don't be too swayed by some scholarships, because you'll have a harder time getting jobs at lower ranked schools.

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »
First off, Berkeley is a no-go.  So, there's that.

And.... that should really make your choice very easy.  You want to live in Maine?  Go to Maine.  Want to live in Miami?  Take the sun and beaches, ftw.  Want to live in California?  Choose the best Cali school you can get into, but realize that you are trying to crack a top market with a lot of competition.

You are obviously open to different geographical areas.  Research the locations you are interested in, and go to school in that area... chances are your first career will be in the same area.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »
Go to either 1) a law school in the top 100 or 2) a law school in an area that you KNOW you want to live in. After that it really doesn't matter.

The only reason to go to a law school in the top 100 is because they carry some name recognition and if you do great, you may be able to land a job in a market of your choice. That's the case at my school.

If you know you want to live in the area, then go to that school. Even at the very bottom of whatever ranking you look at, some percentage of every law school's graduates are hired. the lower you go on the US News rankings, the more regional and ultimately local your law school hiring is. If you love the area that your school is located in, then just plan on living there. There are only a handful of truly "national" schools out there. You can find them pretty easily by looking at where the schools are located and where they take their bar exams. Once you get outside of the handful of schools that are located in the south and midwest but their grads all take the NY bar exam, you see that everything is really local.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 02:37:57 PM »
Go to either 1) a law school in the top 100 or 2) a law school in an area that you KNOW you want to live in. After that it really doesn't matter.

This, except I'd say Top 25-30 at most.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:02:32 AM »
Thanks for all the tips.  I suppose if I really want to go to a top school I need to retake the LSAT this fall.  I really don't want to but maybe I should consider it?

Right now though life in Maine, sounds really good, I'd only move to Cali if I could get into a top law school. I kind of want to apply everywhere and see what happens. I definitely want a top tier school, but I know I am probably then looking at the bottom of the top tier schools which is pretty pathetic.

By the way, I know Berkley is beyond my reach, but hell, if I don't apply, I definitely won't get in. I am probably just throwing the school money for reading over my application and sending me a rejection, but well while I usually don't like to throw away money, in this case I'll make an exception.