Law School Discussion

Accepted at GW - worth transfering from a school in the 70's?

I'm currently at a school ranked in the 70s with an almost full scholarship. I have no interest in practicing in the city where my law school is at. I got accepted by GW this morning. Is it worth it to transfer to GW if my goal is to practice in LA (where my family is at) or DC/Nova?

Re: Accepted at GW - worth transfering from a school in the 70's?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
What's your class rank? Do you know if you made law review yet (if not when will you know)? How close to DC and LA is your school? What do you want to do career-wise?

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:57:34 PM »
My school is in the midwest and doesn't rank. I won't find out about Law Review until the end of July. Ideally I would like to go into entertainment law, but I'll most likely chicken out and pursue something "safe" like corporate/tax law or a government job. The way it stands now, most students who graduate from my law school end up staying in this area.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
hmm, well given your geographic preferences i think i'd actually recommend that you transfer. make sure you actually want to be in DC though. if you truly want entertainment law, you had better go to somewhere like USC/UCLA or some other CA school. you won't be gettin much entertainment law in DC.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »
Thanks. I just keep hearing that no matter what you end up doing, it's better going to a school in the top 30 than a school in the 70s.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »
Yeah, school name can make a big difference...depending on what you want to do. Again, I think a transfer might be warranted in your case, mainly because you don't want to stay in the midwest and a T2 in the midwest won't be great for getting a job on the coasts.

M_Cool

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:51:08 PM »
Careful about GW because they don't have lottery bidding.  Firms can see that you are a transfer and choose not to interview you.  Not sure how much this will hurt you but I heard from a friend at GW that his buddy who transferred from a certain T3 was shut out of OCI and didn't even get an interview.  I think it probably largely depends on where you are coming from and what % you are ranked / whether you were invited to LR.