Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Considering all aspects of my situation, is there any hope of me getting a 150 plus on the September 2009 LSAT?

Yes
Maybe
No

Author Topic: I got a 137 on my LSATs. I'm bummed...should have cancelled.  (Read 6125 times)

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I got a 137 on my LSATs. I'm bummed...should have cancelled.
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »
some people just want an excuse to scream discrimination even if the person saying it is in the same group that they are. I tried a post stateing facts too, people dont want to hear it. Just accept it. That's why I wont even try anymore. Just move on man.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 10:28:44 PM »
some people just want an excuse to scream discrimination even if the person saying it is in the same group that they are. I tried a post stateing facts too, people dont want to hear it. Just accept it. That's why I wont even try anymore. Just move on man.

Your post was hot garbage.  Live with it.

I read it somewhere that most blacks don't pass the bar on their first try.  This is due to affirmative action where low LSAT blacks are being admitted.  It doesn't matter what the color of your skin is, if you do poorly on the LSAT, chance are you will have problem passing the bar exam.  Keep in mind that if you fail the bar exam twice, that's a whole year of time passed, since the bar is offered twice a year. 

Studies and stats say that affirmative action leads to blacks not passing the bar on their first try?  Or was your language just clumsy and you meant to say that studies and stats show that low scorers on the LSAT don't pass the bar on their first try (which you tried to toss in at the end, but the first two lines say something altogether different)?  Moreover, why exactly do you think LSAT score has anything to do with the skills on the bar exam?  From what I understand of the bar from friends, there's a lot of memorization and writing involved, which is precisely not what the LSAT is.

If anything, you may have shown a correlation, but there are plenty of other causes (as Sands pointed out in his post) that could be the reason why certain groups may not perform as well on a test.

Moreover, the proposition that most blacks don't pass the bar on their first try due to affirmative action is further debunked when one introduces the fact that blacks at HBCU law schools, where there is no affirmative action, pass the bar exam at significantly lower numbers than do blacks who were admitted to Tier 1 law schools either with or without affirmative action.

The study is once again correct.  Blacks at HBCU law schools (ALL tier 3 and tier 4) will most definately have lower numbers than Tier 1 blacks/whites/whatever.  This once again proves the point that what I've stated ealier "It doesn't matter what the color of your skin is, if you do poorly on the LSAT, chance are you will have problem passing the bar exam." 

Again, this is the other argument and you seemed to be making two arguments in your first post.  You didn't say just that low-scorers on the LSAT do poorly, you also said that most blacks don't pass the bar on the first try "due to affirmative action..."  In your haste to make an argument about affirmative action, you muddled the issues in your post.  Sorry for ya!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »
Yeah your right there never were votes or new laws made in michigan or california it was all some homeless guys acid trip caught on utube. Thats why I asked this guy to stop talking about stuff like it. Voting, laws, hogwash!

Your post was hot garbage.  Live with it.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 10:32:52 PM »
Wow, some of you are so racist and "racially aware" that you would find anything to have the opprotunity to scream "RACISM!"  

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 06:23:55 AM »
Wow, some of you are so racist and "racially aware" that you would find anything to have the opprotunity to scream "RACISM!"  

This is right.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 06:28:47 AM »
Also, poll is missing an option.

Where there is a will there is a way. NO is never an option. Optimism prevails even when naysayers like you exist.

No is, in fact, an option almost all of the time. Here, it's even a fair probability. I'm not saying I would have necessarily picked "no", but if you're really trying to get an accurate measure of what a bunch of strangers on the internet think about your future, "no" should be on there.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 07:52:10 AM »
did read through the whole post.  Just wanted to say, not all hope is lost. When I was practicing, I started around 152 and brought my score up to a 167 (ended up a little lower on the real test, but there were extenuating circumstances).  Just needed to read through a few books and learn a few skills.  If all you were doing is taking practice test, I cannot imagine you were actually learning anything.  Unlike the SAT, the LSAT isnt about memorizing.  You need to actually learn how to take the test itself.  I hope for you that a prep course will get you in the right direction.  And, if you do not get the score that you wont, dont let it bring you down.  I didnt end up with the one I wanted (really would have loved low 170s), had the lowest lsat score of any of the admits to my school (based on lawschoolnumbers data for non-URMs), and finished at the top of my class in law school.  It can be done.  This test doesnt define you.  It is important, but you can learn the material and improve.  Just need to focus your attention on the right thing.

Great advice. Very positive! I will take it. I wish all replys could be this informative, encouraging, and positive. Instead of negative, ignorant, and racist. THANKS A BUNCH! :-)

These pre-1Ls with low scores are so naive.   ;D

It's not naivety, it is just a realization on his/her part that something was wrong with his/her study technique and that an LSAT score can be improved, even drastically, with a proper study routine.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 09:49:25 AM »
I read it somewhere that most blacks don't pass the bar on their first try.  This is due to affirmative action where low LSAT blacks are being admitted.  It doesn't matter what the color of your skin is, if you do poorly on the LSAT, chance are you will have problem passing the bar exam.  Keep in mind that if you fail the bar exam twice, that's a whole year of time passed, since the bar is offered twice a year. 

I was going to report him when I read this. It made me pretty uncomfortable too, but you are entitled to your own BS opinions and beliefs.

Report what?  What I have read?  That people with low LSAT generally have problem passing the bar? 

Do some research. 

To the reporters who may have been offended by this statement, I'm not going to ban this user for expressing this opinion, however fundamentally flawed this user's logic may be.

I didn't say it.  I wouldn't know.  Study and stats say it.   

Then it's probably best to phrase it that way, as in "Source _____ states that this is due to affirmative action where low LSAT blacks are being admitted," as opposed to "This is due to affirmative action where low LSAT blacks are being admitted."  Since the latter does not reference a source, the implication is that this is your argument that you have concluded on your own.  And maybe that is your argument, which is fine, but don't be surprised if people expect you to personally defend it.

Moreover, the proposition that most blacks don't pass the bar on their first try due to affirmative action is further debunked when one introduces the fact that blacks at HBCU law schools, where there is no affirmative action, pass the bar exam at significantly lower numbers than do blacks who were admitted to Tier 1 law schools either with or without affirmative action.

The study is once again correct.  Blacks at HBCU law schools (ALL tier 3 and tier 4) will most definately have lower numbers than Tier 1 blacks/whites/whatever.  This once again proves the point that what I've stated ealier "It doesn't matter what the color of your skin is, if you do poorly on the LSAT, chance are you will have problem passing the bar exam." 

Even if what you say above is true, it lends no support whatsoever for the following proposition made by you: "most blacks don't pass the bar on their first try...[t]his is due to affirmative action."  Your original culprit for low bar passage among blacks was affirmative action, then at the end of the argument the culprit becomes LSAT scores.  So which is it?

To the OP, Sorry for the hijack.

We can continue this debate in the Affirmative Action thread if you like.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

LuLuLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
Also, poll is missing an option.

Where there is a will there is a way. NO is never an option. Optimism prevails even when naysayers like you exist.

No is, in fact, an option almost all of the time. Here, it's even a fair probability. I'm not saying I would have necessarily picked "no", but if you're really trying to get an accurate measure of what a bunch of strangers on the internet think about your future, "no" should be on there.

I understand.