Law School Discussion

Poll

Considering all aspects of my situation, is there any hope of me getting a 150 plus on the September 2009 LSAT?

Yes
Maybe
No

I got a 137 on my LSATs. I'm bummed...should have cancelled.

I got results back from the June 2009 LSATs and it is bad: 137. I feel like a complete failure. I self-studied with Powerscore bibles and took over 12 PTs. I was expecting mid 140s. My GPA is a 3.7 from T2 selective/competitive undergrad institution. I was recently inducted into a very prestigious honor society and I know I am intelligent. This test no way speaks to my intellectual ability. However, I suck at standardized tests; I did not do well on SATs either. Needless to say, I am retaking it in September. I enrolled in a Powerscore course which starts in July. I am planning on working my butt off and getting a high 150. I need some consoling, but most importantly, is this goal realistic? :'(

Re: I got a 137 on my LSATs. I'm bummed...should have cancelled.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »
Lu,

I feel your pain took about 20 pt's, and never got less than 151-163 and got a 143.  I feel you, I have a masters, taught college courses and am currently a high school teacher. So I know I have a few smarts, at least some, so I hear you. I beleive I will be successful as a lawyer and in law school, just have to improve my score and get in somewhere.  I know my score sucks and I am very disappointed, just trying to be positive.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 02:03:06 PM »
positive is good and all for your morale but you need to get urself into a study program/test prep course and see what is going wrong.  you need to work your ass off to raise your score by 20+ points. im not sure if ive even heard of anyone raising their score by that man points...??  ???

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »
I have students who have increased 15-20 points on retest. They just had no idea the first time and needed individual attention designed for their strengths and weaknesses. And cheer leading and babysitting :) But hard work can improve a score to average. Its going from average to top 5% that is harder.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 03:56:21 PM »
I have students who have increased 15-20 points on retest. They just had no idea the first time and needed individual attention designed for their strengths and weaknesses. And cheer leading and babysitting :) But hard work can improve a score to average. Its going from average to top 5% that is harder.

Thanks for the positive encouragement. I will be working hard...although I have great expectations for more than just "average". Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 11:08:55 AM »
I am joining the club. Took a Testmasters course from March to June and thought I knew what I was doing. I got my score back and also got a 143 and couldnt believe I did this bad. I was shocked at first and I am just going to use it as positive motivation to work my ass off the next few months and study for the September 2009 Lsat. I am down and demoralized, but not out. I think Im going to try to get a tutor this time around and I might buy more older practice tests. The problem with myself is that I deffinitely have trouble finishing all of the sections on time and I am not getting questions correct when I go through the different sections. Does anyone think I can improve my score by September?

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 07:27:08 PM »
I am joining the club. Took a Testmasters course from March to June and thought I knew what I was doing. I got my score back and also got a 143 and couldnt believe I did this bad. I was shocked at first and I am just going to use it as positive motivation to work my ass off the next few months and study for the September 2009 Lsat. I am down and demoralized, but not out. I think Im going to try to get a tutor this time around and I might buy more older practice tests. The problem with myself is that I deffinitely have trouble finishing all of the sections on time and I am not getting questions correct when I go through the different sections. Does anyone think I can improve my score by September?

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you've got a particularly good grasp on either the comprehension or the timing of the LSAT, which are the two basic factors in putting together a good performance. Depending on what kind of improvement you are targeting, you might want to sign up for a class, or like you mentioned, go for private tutoring, and take as much time as you need to understand the test and figure out your timing before taking it again.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 12:02:43 PM »

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you've got a particularly good grasp on either the comprehension or the timing of the LSAT, which are the two basic factors in putting together a good performance. Depending on what kind of improvement you are targeting, you might want to sign up for a class, or like you mentioned, go for private tutoring, and take as much time as you need to understand the test and figure out your timing before taking it again.

You are pretty much absolutely correct. I know I do not have a good grasp of timing on the LSAT or a good understanding of its concepts. I am not looking for an amazing score...anything from the mid to upper 150s would be fine for me. I just dont know what I need to do to improve at this point.

I am going to sign up for another class and definitely a private tutor. I want to retake in September because I want to apply for the next cycle in Fall of 2010. I have already taken time off after college to study for this exam...so at this point I really dont know what could help me improve my score. Do you have any other advice for me?

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 12:52:03 PM »
Definitely get a class AND a private tutor if you can afford it. Buy a timer. I would forget about September. 12 practice tests isn't that much. If you really did this poorly, you are going to need several months of serious preparation and are going to need to do 40 or more practice exams.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 02:53:19 PM »
I think private tutors can help a lot. Some people are just not wired for the LSAT because they do not have a strong background in logic, math or science. A class just might not be right for you. I know I read here that private tutors cost a fortune, but with this economy, lots of people are doing it for what they would get paid--not for what a  middle man company charges. $30-50 an hour or even less with package deals.

There are telephone tutors too, so location is not important if you have a cell phone with a good plan. Part of it is teaching the LSAT, part of it is coaching and training just like it was a championship sporting event. Try to look outside the box for affordable solutions--CL,your local university, 2Ls and 3Ls who did well and need the extra $$$$$$, even practicing lawyers need some $$$ these days :)