Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 170 last October, 177 this June!  (Read 2126 times)

dactylion

• View Profile
    • Email
170 last October, 177 this June!
« on: June 26, 2009, 05:09:39 AM »
I took the LSAT last October and got a 170. I thought I could do better, so I studied again and got a 177 this June. I'm obviously really happy with my score, but what happens now? Supposedly, LSAC says to consider the highest score now, but certain law schools still claim to average the scores and ask for an addendum if there is a significant score increase. I feel my score increase is pretty significant, but I don't really know what to include in an addendum. I honestly think I did better because it was a noon test rather than a morning test (I barely got three hours of sleep before the October test) and because it wasn't during the school year so I could focus better on the LSAT. Are these valid things to include in an addendum? I didn't cancel my first score because I still thought I did decently, which I did.

dactylion

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 170 last October, 177 this June!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 05:21:02 AM »
I also wanted to encourage other retakers who may become discouraged by all the statistics showing that hardly anyone improves. It can indeed be done =)

seclit1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:33:27 AM »
should be proud of urself for doing so well on a harder than usual test.

just tell them that you were studying for ur finals and school and working and stuff and didnt feel that the first score wasnt a true reflection of your skills. i dont think you need to add too much too it, let the scores speak for themselves.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:40:42 AM »
I wouldn't write an addendum for those reasons and would just let my new score speak for itself.  I increased from 166 to 171 on a retake and didn't write an addendum even though I could have written one (I had the stomach flu during the first test).  However, if it wasn't important enough for me to cancel after the first test or postpone or anything like that, to me, it wasn't important enough to go into an addendum.  Also, I think people over rely on addenda and it makes their applications look like one big file of excuses.  Just apply with the two scores and be happy that each one puts you in rarefied air :)
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:26:48 AM »
Congrats on the awesome increase!  Especially since I'm sure people gave you *&^% for retaking an excellent score (170), so double congrats for going with your gut.  It paid off!

I wouldn't worry about an addendum.  The increase does speak for itself.  Even more, it's an increase from 98th or 9th percentile to 99th.  Doesn't really require explanation.  Also, even if a school averages your scores, you're still in the 99th percentile.

In other words, quit worrying - you've got it made.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 10:53:26 AM »
I also made a drastic improvement.  There really isn't much to say other than that I had a REALLY bad day when I took the LSAT the first time.  I'm not writing an addendum.  There are other things to talk about that are more interesting.

dactylion

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

I've also been kind of against addenda, which do just sound like excuses. I guess I won't be including one =)

bnavs46

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »
Congrats on all your increases!!!
I wanted to ask everyone you for their opinions on what there study regiments were like to score a score in the 170's as well as any helpful tips you may have?
I'm aiming for a 173 and would appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 10:53:18 PM »
Congrats on all your increases!!!
I wanted to ask everyone you for their opinions on what there study regiments were like to score a score in the 170's as well as any helpful tips you may have?
I'm aiming for a 173 and would appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks

I took testmasters and thought it was really helpful.  Improved my score from a 166 to a 173.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

dactylion

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 07:02:05 PM »
I self studied using the Powerscore bibles and lots of preptests. I think the biggest difference in my prep for the 170 and the prep for the 177 was really analyzing my wrong answers/questions I was confused about.