Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Parenting and Law School - Advice Please!  (Read 2283 times)

Dragonfly89121

• View Profile
Parenting and Law School - Advice Please!
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:56:04 AM »
Can I be a great mom to a 3 year old and be a successful Law student? Anyone have this experience? I am married and will have my husband to help as well.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Parenting and Law School - Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 06:18:55 AM »
Well I sure hope so since I am in an almost identical scenario. I start in January which will be one month after my daughters second birthday. My wife is in training right now to be a phlebotomist so she will be working too but I am hoping that she will be able to get scheduled around my school shift so that we can take turns watching my daughter. Does your husband work? If so does he have a fixed shift, if so you may be able to schedule your classes around it or vice versa if his job is flexible on shifts.

Have you taken the LSAT yet or completed undergrad? I ask since it is all part of the process. Of course the first and most vital step is choosing to be interested. Every step after the first one couldnt happend without the latter.  ;)
Welcome to the board. Keep us up to date on your decisions and if you need any more advice.

Can I be a great mom to a 3 year old and be a successful Law student? Anyone have this experience? I am married and will have my husband to help as well.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:19:37 PM »
It'd probably be easier if you could delay 2 years so that your 3 year old is 5 and in school all day long - it'd free up both class and study time.
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

madelinelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:10:06 PM »
I'm sort of in the same boat!  I have a toddler, under two, and I even want another baby AND be a law student, too!  I know it's difficult, but I'm sure it's doable.  I'm new to this board, too, and it's great to hear all this advice, support and shared thoughts.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »
I've got five kids and just finished 1L. Granted, the two oldest stayed to finish high school and did not move to school with me. That said I had 3 children living with me, ages at the beginning of 1L were 2.5, 4.75, and 14. I think I managed ok. However, I actually found law school itself much easier than the juggling of daycare/sick child care/teenage angst/family dram and law school. That, truthfully, kicked my ass. It was a tough year.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
Yes, you can do it, just be prepared to work twice as hard as everyone around you. 

I agree with saradsun that the family drama is the hardest.  Juggling law school and a child (children in my case) is difficult because there are times where you will be forced to make tough decisions or miss things that you don't want to miss.  You can't be two places in once and that means a lot of guilt.  However, if you have a support system it will be much easier. 

I have no regrets.  I think I set my priorities early and stood by that.  I try not to take on too many extra things and I stay very organized.  My first year was hairy at times, but I can honestly say it was also wonderful and very personally rewarding.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 02:51:07 PM »
I completely agree with the previous post (particularly RE "work twice as hard").

As for "be[ing] a great mom," there will often be times when you will miss out on quality time with your child(ren) or you will feel like a half ass parent. It is during those times when it is important to remember that you are still "being a great mom" by demonstrably achieving goals you set out for yourself that may benefit your family as well. It may also be the case that you will find yourself having to remind your partner of this during times of turmoil.

I have four children (12, 11, 5, and 3), and just completed two years of law school while working full-time. It is possible. Extremely difficult, but possible.

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 01:43:56 AM »

I started 1L and my daughter was 2. She was in daycare all day, so that wasn't a problem. It is absolutely doable, and I don't think you will have to work 2 as hard. It just means you party 1/2 as much. It's a wash. Having a family keeps you grounded at times when others are about to lose their minds.

Results do vary.

If you aren't deterred by the debt or the economy, don't be deterred by having family responsibilities to balance. If you have a good partnership with your spouse, it will go smoothly.

angioletto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »
I was actually coming in with this same exact question. I will have a 2 year old and a 4 year old when I hope to start law school in fall 2010. I have been so torn trying to decide if I should go part time and be there more for my kids while in law school or if I should go full time so I can just finish faster and be done with law school. It is all very confusing.

All I can base things on is the fact that I did FT undergrad while working a full time job AND a part time job and while being a mom to my son. It was not easy and not really fun, but I survived and managed a 3.78 GPA.

Good luck to all of us with kids and hoping to attend law school. I hope everyone is able to find the balance they need.