Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interesting article...must read!  (Read 1819 times)

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting article...must read!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:08:04 PM »
stop posting this crap...seriously.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:05:56 PM »
Sands, I totally respect your judgment about how to handle this, but I have a suggestion.  In the future, when shills/obsessives/spammers post multiple threads with the same content or lack thereof, especially in the wrong areas of the board, I think it would make sense to delete or combine the offending multiple threads and issue a warning instead of banning the user (who may be a legitimate user who is just confused about how the board is organized) and leaving the offending threads around to muck up the board.  But this is just my 2 cents.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »
I think just banning them is funnier. 

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »
Sands, I totally respect your judgment about how to handle this, but I have a suggestion.  In the future, when shills/obsessives/spammers post multiple threads with the same content or lack thereof, especially in the wrong areas of the board, I think it would make sense to delete or combine the offending multiple threads and issue a warning instead of banning the user (who may be a legitimate user who is just confused about how the board is organized) and leaving the offending threads around to muck up the board.  But this is just my 2 cents.

Maybe in some cases. This person posted the same link 16 times...excessive much?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 09:28:14 PM »

Maybe in some cases. This person posted the same link 16 times...excessive much?

I agree, but banning is really extreme.  I don't think it's too much to ask that we give people the chance to shape up before we ban them.  Also, we should consider deleting or combining the 16 threads instead of just taking action against the poster.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 09:30:50 PM »

I agree, but banning is really extreme.  I don't think it's too much to ask that we give people the chance to shape up before we ban them.  Also, we should consider deleting or combining the 16 threads instead of just taking action against the poster.

Yeah, but I could see from a mod's point of view that things like this just get annoying. You try to be reasonable, etc. and people abuse it. Easy way out: ban. Obviously being reasonable is a good thing too, but there are practical concerns as well. I do think you make a good point though.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 09:35:42 PM »
Yeah, but I could see from a mod's point of view that things like this just get annoying. You try to be reasonable, etc. and people abuse it. Easy way out: ban. Obviously being reasonable is a good thing too, but there are practical concerns as well. I do think you make a good point though.

I totally understand, and I totally respect Sands' judgment (and appreciate that he still devotes time here when he has serious real-world responsibilities).  I just hate the idea that people could be banned arbitrarily and I'd like to see some process put in place -- not like multiple levels of appeals, but maybe a one-warning system for all but the most egregious cases.  In any case, I still think the mods should delete those fifteen other friends, regardless of what happened to our unfortunate friend LovingThis.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:51:11 PM »
I totally understand, and I totally respect Sands' judgment (and appreciate that he still devotes time here when he has serious real-world responsibilities).  I just hate the idea that people could be banned arbitrarily and I'd like to see some process put in place -- not like multiple levels of appeals, but maybe a one-warning system for all but the most egregious cases.  In any case, I still think the mods should delete those fifteen other friends, regardless of what happened to our unfortunate friend LovingThis.

I think you've read too many due process clause cases.  If some dood was actually arbitrarily banned, the moron could always contact the administrator to remedy this grave injustice.