Law School Discussion

LSAT Fee waivers

LSAT Fee waivers
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »
Two of my friends that you taking the LSAT in september when I retake it are applying for fee waivers. Has anyone here gotten one themselves? Is it hard to get? Anyone here apply and get denied, if so why? Is there an appeals process if denied?

'blueskies

• your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Fee waivers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 12:33:21 PM »
I couldn't get one because my parents wouldn't give me their financial information. I sent in an appeal letter and they still denied it.  Supposedly they're pretty hard to get.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 12:38:26 PM »
I take it that you were under 24 unmarried, no kids, and non military? It is kind of silly how they think a 23 year old is still a kid that the parents should take care of.

I couldn't get one because my parents wouldn't give me their financial information. I sent in an appeal letter and they still denied it.  Supposedly they're pretty hard to get.

'blueskies

• your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 12:39:52 PM »
Yep

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:38:50 PM »
I was laid off and receiving unemployment and they approved it for me. I'm independent and do have a child. if you apply online, and enter your tax info, you will instantly get approval or deny. if you are denied, you need to prove to them why (beyond the numbers on your tax forms) you should be approved. You do so by send in a letter with explaination and documents. I was denied at first but thats because my numbers on tax forms are high from last year, now that I have been on UC for most of the year I will not have the same income as before. That was my appeal and it was approved. It will help tremendously since now I can apply to more than just a handful of schools.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 08:40:31 PM »
Thats good to know since I am unemployed now but worked last year. I may have to appeal like you did, but its good to know that it is at least possible. They may deny mine since I already took it and got accepted(but am hoping to get a higher score to get school scholarships) and they may say that I dont really need it. Then again, it would cost them less since I dont need the LSDAS setup(still there from when I paid to set it up)

I was laid off and receiving unemployment and they approved it for me. I'm independent and do have a child. if you apply online, and enter your tax info, you will instantly get approval or deny. if you are denied, you need to prove to them why (beyond the numbers on your tax forms) you should be approved. You do so by send in a letter with explaination and documents. I was denied at first but thats because my numbers on tax forms are high from last year, now that I have been on UC for most of the year I will not have the same income as before. That was my appeal and it was approved. It will help tremendously since now I can apply to more than just a handful of schools.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »
there is no reason to apply. You just have to let them know that you are currently limited financially and that paying the money to take the test over again is going to put a burden on you. I think it is very nice for them to offer, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to register and take the test right now. and again the application waivers are going to help a great deal as well, I can probably apply to a lot more schools than I otherwise could justify.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:41:10 PM »
I agree Phil. It is nice that they offer it. I think that people assume lawyers and doctors are all rich and forget that many of us are in debt from undergrad and going to school to get a job to get money latter. It's good to know that the LSAC still knows the truth.