Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please Help. Should i transfer to UCLA???  (Read 932 times)

loving law

• View Profile
Please Help. Should i transfer to UCLA???
« on: June 24, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »
Hi.  I go to a t2 school with very good local and some national recognition.  I will am top 8% in my class after 1L and graded onto law review.  I know of someone w/ these exact credentials from the same school that transferred to UCLA, my dream school.  I know I am not a definite to get in on transfer just b/c of the other person, but this is assuming (and hoping) I do.  I am planning on practicing in the area of my current school on the east coast, but I want as many options as possible everywhere.  I am scared that if my grades fall, I will regret not taking the significant jump in reputation.  Should I transfer?  How much respect does a top 8% guy get in OCI?  Is it enough to warrant staying?  Please elaborate on the value of top 8% at OCI vs. starting fresh at UCLA.  Thanks guys.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Re: Please Help. Should i transfer to UCLA???
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
This seems like a no-brainer to me.  You want to work in the area that your school is in.  Your grades rock at a school has some "very good local recognition", which, by extension, means that it places well in your local area... the area you want to work in.

Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first), but I wouldn't budge.  No way.  Law review + top 8% + networking in the area you want to practice in = stay where you are. 
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

IlliniBoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »
This seems like a no-brainer to me.  You want to work in the area that your school is in.  Your grades rock at a school has some "very good local recognition", which, by extension, means that it places well in your local area... the area you want to work in.

Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first), but I wouldn't budge.  No way.  Law review + top 8% + networking in the area you want to practice in = stay where you are. 

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I don't care how much prestige your school has in your particular area- UCLA has more. There may be a couple of places that put some credence into your performing well at a school down the street, but not many, and if the school you're going to is in a relatively small area (like a traditional college town) and you want to practice there, chances are they'll be more impressed that someone is leaving LA to set up shop there. Plus, in this economy and going forward, prestige is going to count for even more than it used to, and you may not to practice in Podunk forever.

Add in the fact that UCLA was your dream school (why, I'm not sure. The dreadful football? The disappointing Final Four appearances? The mascot that everyone has to google to figure out what they are? I kid, I kid), and the choice should be easy. Go where you want to be. Plus, there's a good chance that if you were top 8% where you are now, you'll finish UCLA somewhere pretty high in your class as well.

loving law

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:05:35 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  My main question is really this:  How promising is OCI for a top 8% guy with law review?  Would you say the OCI would be worth passing up a t15 school if OCI on my campus is generally pretty active?  Thanks.