Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring to Michigan  (Read 1429 times)

G.O.A.T.

• View Profile
Transferring to Michigan
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »
I have no delusions of grandeur.  I have mediocre grades at a 40ish ranked school (3.0 First semester, 3.25 second semester).  My mom has cancer and I want to transfer home to Michigan but don't want to step down to wayne, msu, detroit, etc. I have some pretty solid intangibles. I was able to get a federal judge to hire me this summer and have written a few opinions that have been issued (writing sample?).  I can even get a letter of rec from the judge too.  Should I apply to Michigan as a transfer, or is pointless considering my grades?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Transferring to Michigan
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »
Apply, worst they can say is no. Hope your mom fairs well.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:11:18 PM »
There are only a handfull of schools in michigan to pick from, especially sine Ave Maria moved to Florida. I'd say pick whichever one is closest to your mother if that is your reason for moving. Does she live in a town with  law school in it?

lawtransfer22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »
All you have to lose is the application fee. But, that said, you need to look at this realistically and realize it is very unlikely(but not impossible) you will get accepted (especially since you are going to be applying so late in the cycle, assuming you have not applied yet). Make sure to include applications to the other schools if you really want to return to MI. While I completely understand your desire not to step down, dropping down may be the only way for you to move back (it is unfortunate Mich does not have any comparatively ranked schools).

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »
I would apply- and I would certainly put myself at the mercy of the adcomm re: your mother. However, you do need to be realistic about your chances.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 12:05:28 AM »
I wanted to hold back on this for a bit since some of the other board members have gotten on my butt in the past for brining it up too much, but here it goes. You want to transfer to michigan to be with your sick mother but fear that you cant transfer. Try all the schools, but make sure to include Cooley. You can apply for free at http://www.cooley.edu   They have starting semesters in not just september but also january and May. They accept people that other lawschools sometimes dont, and have four locations in Ann Arbor, Aurburn Hills, Lansing and Grand Rapids. I'd pick to apply to the one closest to your moms location. They also allow you to go as slow as a 5 year plan on weekends if you need to spend extra time with your mom to help with her care. Best of luck man, I hope it helps.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 12:13:11 AM »
I wanted to hold back on this for a bit since some of the other board members have gotten on my butt in the past for brining it up too much, but here it goes. You want to transfer to michigan to be with your sick mother but fear that you cant transfer. Try all the schools, but make sure to include Cooley. You can apply for free at http://www.cooley.edu   They have starting semesters in not just september but also january and May. They accept people that other lawschools sometimes dont, and have four locations in Ann Arbor, Aurburn Hills, Lansing and Grand Rapids. I'd pick to apply to the one closest to your moms location. They also allow you to go as slow as a 5 year plan on weekends if you need to spend extra time with your mom to help with her care. Best of luck man, I hope it helps.

Fail.
FFAAAAAAIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLL.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 02:07:41 AM »
Fail  on what? You'd prefer see him either live with the guilt of not being with his mother in her time of need, or drop out? Good looking man.

Fail.
FFAAAAAAIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLL.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL.
[/quote]

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 08:47:32 AM »
First of all: withdrawing from law school and seeking re-entrance later is a better option than going to Cooley.

Second, he said he didn't want to step down to schools that are ***vastly*** superior to Cooley. Learn to read. He is afraid he won't make it in to Michigan Law School, which is a valid concern, not Michigan in general.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 04:04:33 PM »
I said that he should apply to all of them(michigan included) take your own advice and learn to read yourself a-hole.

First of all: withdrawing from law school and seeking re-entrance later is a better option than going to Cooley.

Second, he said he didn't want to step down to schools that are ***vastly*** superior to Cooley. Learn to read. He is afraid he won't make it in to Michigan Law School, which is a valid concern, not Michigan in general.