Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying for the BAR, huge DEBT, no JOB, WHAT DO DO?  (Read 47647 times)

mccarthy

• View Profile
Re: Studying for the BAR, huge DEBT, no JOB, WHAT DO DO?
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »
Taking the bar in CA would not obligate you to a damn thing. Do you really have two options here?

Joey Porsche

• Ya feels me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2009, 12:37:39 AM »
This plan has fail written all over it.

Thanks for piping in, Joey.  Appreciate it.   

Just a

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2010, 10:43:33 PM »
Bump.

I am in the same quandry. I just got told by my brother-in-law that an associate position is mine at the firm he worked with if I wanted it. However, it is 150 miles away, so I would need to live away from my husband for awhile until it was economically feasible for him to move (he has a job where we live now). Also my brother-in-law would be my supervisor. And finally, the firm he works for is one of those with an attorney that appears on TV. I am worried that once the economy picks up, it would be hard for me to move back into what I want to do with that on my resume. Thoughts?

P.S. - my husband is making enough for us to survive on while I defer my loans...but it is tight. I am working for a government office, who still hasn't heard whether they have the funds to hire any attorneys or not. Help!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »
Bump.

I am in the same quandry. I just got told by my brother-in-law that an associate position is mine at the firm he worked with if I wanted it. However, it is 150 miles away, so I would need to live away from my husband for awhile until it was economically feasible for him to move (he has a job where we live now). Also my brother-in-law would be my supervisor. And finally, the firm he works for is one of those with an attorney that appears on TV. I am worried that once the economy picks up, it would be hard for me to move back into what I want to do with that on my resume. Thoughts?

P.S. - my husband is making enough for us to survive on while I defer my loans...but it is tight. I am working for a government office, who still hasn't heard whether they have the funds to hire any attorneys or not. Help!

Is your brother in law secretly interested in you?    :o

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
No way, just trying to help.

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2010, 11:42:40 AM »
Make the government sorry for what they did when they gave you the loans in the first place and declare bankruptcy.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2010, 01:24:04 PM »
No way, just trying to help.

Yeah, I am sure that's what it is.   ;)  ;D

LSDSL

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2010, 05:20:12 PM »
Bump.

Well, 150 miles isn't really THAT far...so it might not be that bad.  Things to consider are: Do you really want to work there or do you figure it's "better than nothing?"  Also, will this really help to get you your dream job in the location that you want?

Call me crazy, but I think the legal job market is getting better.  The new year has brought a renewed sense of optimism about the economy and I think we'll see a spike in firms seeking to hire.  My advice is stall the brother-in-law as much as possible and keep looking where you live. 

That's what I've done w/ my brother (remember, I'm the OP).  I had an interview yesterday and another scheduled next week, when previously it seemed like entire months would go by without me hearing anything.  Thinks are turning around in the job market.  I can feel it.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2010, 02:57:27 AM »
Yeah, my husband and I decided it was not worth it, because it would be a "better than nothing" type of job. I had an interview with a small firm this week, and just applied to an opening at another small firm. I agree that maybe things will pick up, but I would like for it to happen before I use all of my deferment months.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »
Bump.

So after looking for jobs, I got an interview with an attorney that has a horrible reputation in her field. Then I was contacted by an attorney from another firm (bankruptcy) for an interview. I checked his bar records and he had to resign under charges and finding of misconduct in 1996 (committed fraud and went to jail) and was inactive until this year (when he decided to work in bankruptcy and loan modifications. Ergh. I am just hoping to get a job with a reputable attorney at this point...