Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying for the BAR, huge DEBT, no JOB, WHAT DO DO?  (Read 47072 times)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Studying for the BAR, huge DEBT, no JOB, WHAT DO DO?
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2009, 02:12:22 AM »
LSDSL - Congrats on passing the bar!  Maybe I'll see you at swearing in on Nov. 5th?  Keep your chin up-- I believe actually having your law license in hand will help your job search.
Fed gov't atty

LSDSL

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »
Since I'm the one who started this topic, I figured I'd give you all an update.  I found out I passed the IL bar, but still dont have a job.  I havent even gotten an interview yet.  This seems hopeless and I'm starting to regret ever going to law school.  9.8% unemployment sucks...

What have you done so far though? 

I basically check like 8 websites everyday and apply to virtually all the open positions, whether I'm crazy under-qualified or crazy over-qualified.  I virtually never see an ad looking for "RECENT BAR PASSERS NEEDED!!"  The crazy thing is that, technically, if I wanted a job, I could have one.  My brother and 2 other guys started their own Employment Law firm in LA a few years ago and apparently they're going to start looking to hire someone.  It's a great opportunity, but I want to stay in Chicago (plus I've only taken the IL bar).  He said he wants an answer from me by December 1st as to whether or not I'll take it.  Your thoughts on the matter?

LSDSL

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »
LSDSL - Congrats on passing the bar!  Maybe I'll see you at swearing in on Nov. 5th?  Keep your chin up-- I believe actually having your law license in hand will help your job search.

Yup, Nov. 5th is the big day.  I'll be downtown for the ceremony.  I actually just got my tickets today for it.  You'd think having a license would help, but not yet...  Between you and me, I wish I could just skip the swearing in.  I've had it with ceremonies and celebrating.  Between graduation, 2 graduation parties, a party after I finished the bar, a party after I passed the bar, I'm sick of partying...especially when I still feel like I have nothing to celebrate!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »
Since I'm the one who started this topic, I figured I'd give you all an update.  I found out I passed the IL bar, but still dont have a job.  I havent even gotten an interview yet.  This seems hopeless and I'm starting to regret ever going to law school.  9.8% unemployment sucks...

I basically check like 8 websites everyday and apply to virtually all the open positions, whether I'm crazy under-qualified or crazy over-qualified.  I virtually never see an ad looking for "RECENT BAR PASSERS NEEDED!!"  The crazy thing is that, technically, if I wanted a job, I could have one.  My brother and 2 other guys started their own Employment Law firm in LA a few years ago and apparently they're going to start looking to hire someone.  It's a great opportunity, but I want to stay in Chicago (plus I've only taken the IL bar).  He said he wants an answer from me by December 1st as to whether or not I'll take it.  Your thoughts on the matter?

You shouldn't take it today or tomorrow, you should have taken it yesterday.  What's wrong with you?  Take it!!! 

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »

You shouldn't take it today or tomorrow, you should have taken it yesterday.  What's wrong with you?  Take it!!! 

lol

TITCR
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

LSDSL

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2009, 06:00:26 PM »

I dont know if it's that easy though.  If I plan to practice law in Chicago, is it really the right move to live in LA doing glorified paralegal work??? Unless I take the Cali bar, I can't do anything too exciting, dont you think?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »

I dont know if it's that easy though.  If I plan to practice law in Chicago, is it really the right move to live in LA doing glorified paralegal work??? Unless I take the Cali bar, I can't do anything too exciting, dont you think?

Take the offer, start studying for the CA bar tonight, and be an attorney in few months. 

LSDSL

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2009, 05:36:00 AM »

Take the offer, start studying for the CA bar tonight, and be an attorney in few months. 

My brain says yes but my heart says no...

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2009, 03:35:56 PM »
What does your empty wallet say?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Angry Gorilla

• I'm Angry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
My brain says yes but my heart says no...

My brain says no, but my body says YES!