Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: numbers good softs bad  (Read 722 times)

mtp.hoses

• View Profile
    • Email
numbers good softs bad
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:51:58 PM »
LSAT is 175+ and my GPA is around 3.7, probably bit lower by time I apply. No "soft factors" to speak of. Uninvolved at school and in the community throughout college.

Looking at the US News ranking. Numbers safely rule me out at Harvard, but it looks like my "target" school will be somewhere like Columbia. How will my situation with extracurricular stuff affect my chances at admission there? Should I be targeting schools that are ranked slightly lower with lower admission numbers?

This is kind of pointless worrying but I am trying to decide what schools I can get into in the fall so I don't waste $$$.

Thanks.

mtp.hoses

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: numbers good softs bad
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:54:59 PM »
Sorry for double posting, but it doesn't look like you can edit your posts here.

The reason I am asking this tedious question is because usually the answer is that soft factors do not matter, but this answer is usually given to people in the opposite situation. Poor LSAT score or GPA, but good outside of school activities.

I have been researching and it looks like people who apply to top ranked schools tend to have similarly impressive extracurrics: minor leadership roles, writers for the school paper, etc. So that the bar is raised higher at those schools, if that makes sense.

Just looking for anecdotal evidence about people who have applied in situations similar to mine.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:31:24 PM »
Won't matter. They aren't impressed if you were president of the debate club. Just be able to demonstrate some outside interests.  You are virtually guaranteed admission to One of Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Penn and everywhere below. Full ride scholarship at a T20 and perhaps a T14.

Numbers DO NOT rule you out of any school except perhaps Yale and Stanford. Harvard is still a very strong possibility. Lawschoolnumbers.com is much better than USNEWS for getting an accurate idea of your chances.

BTW - you can edit posts.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:40:25 PM »
I second looking at LSN.  Looks like you have a good shot anywhere but Yale and Stanford.  And if you apply early, you'll still have a shot at Harvard.  But did you honestly do nothing during ugrad?  No clubs?  No work?  An empty resume won't help, but your numbers sure help.  You'll get into NYU at least.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:43:58 AM »
Like, actually. How did you spend your actual time when not in class, sleeping, eating, or doing homework. Anything beyond xbox? If so, you've got at least one soft factor. Finesse it and give it a nice shiny gloss.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

The Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 05:54:43 AM »
Like, actually. How did you spend your actual time when not in class, sleeping, eating, or doing homework. Anything beyond xbox? If so, you've got at least one soft factor. Finesse it and give it a nice shiny gloss.
i'm in the same boat as the OP.

i have no softs. pretty much i spend all my free time working out and hanging with friends and playing games.

i'm amazed with how so many people get so many ec's in, especially during the school year. in the summer, i can definitely see where there's time, though.

mtp.hoses

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 07:56:49 AM »
Sure, I have other things going for me. Big reader, semiserious interest in music (haven't played out since high school though), summers working in IT, etc. but apart from the work experience, they aren't really sellable as in on-campus club involvement, publications or volunteering during school.

Thanks for the lawschoolnumbers suggestion.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »
Soft factors are irrelevant everywhere except Yale.  You do actually have a shot at HLS, although Colubmia is totally the place to be.   ;D

I agree with Dash in that you can finesse your interests into softs.

Good luck!
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN