Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BA vs. BS?  (Read 3095 times)

slob

• View Profile
BA vs. BS?
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:24:26 PM »
I'm going to be attending an undergraduate university in the fall and majoring in physics.  I'm seriously considering law school and would like to know whether a Bachelor of Science degree is respected more than a Bachelor of Arts when applying to law school. Thanks :)

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: BA vs. BS?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 03:34:59 PM »
Why are you majoring in physics? Do you plan to do IP?

In general, BA vs. BS, no, one is not respected more than the other. Most admissions books will tell you this, with the slight caveat that a low GPA in an easy major, like Women's Studies, may be less respected than the same GPA in Physics.

I'm against changing a major based on how you think admissions counselors will view your application. Make sure you spend those 4 years studying what you want to study.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:58:26 PM »
Why are you majoring in physics? Do you plan to do IP?

In general, BA vs. BS, no, one is not respected more than the other. Most admissions books will tell you this, with the slight caveat that a low GPA in an easy major, like Women's Studies, may be less respected than the same GPA in Physics.

I think it depends. If you were a man majoring in Women’s Studies I think they would give you some slack for a lower GPA over Physics. I mean what’s harder for a man to comprehend: how the female brain works or string theory. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 04:01:42 PM »
Oh Matthies :D
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

slob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 11:44:42 PM »
Well i would only be there for 2 years. I joined an early college kind of program for the last 2 years of my high school and am attending a university with around 72 hours of college credit. If i do the BA ill have a better shot at a 4.0 along with more time to study for lsats and a chance to do an internship in the summer instead of summer classes.  I think you all answered my question though so thank you :).

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 12:03:49 AM »
I'd say go with whichever one that you can transfer the most of your credits into. Why pay for more credits and take longer if they both end up getting you to the same place in the end?

Well i would only be there for 2 years. I joined an early college kind of program for the last 2 years of my high school and am attending a university with around 72 hours of college credit. If i do the BA ill have a better shot at a 4.0 along with more time to study for lsats and a chance to do an internship in the summer instead of summer classes.  I think you all answered my question though so thank you :).

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 06:35:27 AM »
Go for physics if that's what you want to do. Even if your gpa sucks because of it, you can actually get a good job with just a BS in physics.

As for a BS v. a BA in admissions, the BS might be a good soft factor, but only in the way it will elevate you over a comm. major with a similar gpa.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.