Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Computer problems during exams  (Read 483 times)

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Computer problems during exams
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:02:03 PM »
How does your school handle technical issues either with the required exam software or other aspects of student's laptops?  Does a student with a malfunctioning computer just get a shrug and a bluebook, are they allowed to move to a computer lab to finish or some other option? 

At least one or two classmates from each of my classes had issues starting the exam software or had problems during the exam requiring them to hand write their exams.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Computer problems during exams
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:01:08 PM »
On two of my finals, my computer gave me the "blue screen of death."  I was lucky in two ways.  Firstly, when the computer restarted, it opened into ExamSoft giving me an option to continue my final.  Secondly, the two finals that the computer crashed, I wasn't under a time crunch because I was blazing through the tests (I lost probably about 5 minutes each time).

I think the only option is to write your exam in that situation.  Moving to a computer lab would be problematic because the software would have to be installed, you would have to be able login to your ID, and they would need an extra proctor.

My school's policy is to take a blue book and start writing.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:02:13 PM »
Start writing in a blue book is the option.  Only people who have had problems is (1) people who haven't tested out the software; and (2) mac users (not because there's anything wrong with macs but because exam software is notoriously incompatible).

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:19:36 PM »
At our school, you have to successfully run the program and submit a practice exam before you can use your computer for an exam.  There is a new download each semester and it must be tested.

Most of the problems appeared on the second, third or fourth final meaning that most of the problems occurred after the software worked successfully for at least one live exam.

A friend of mine on the third out of four finals, his machine locked up, he rebooted and when he tried to get back into the exam software he was unable to continue his test.  He could start up another test, but the proctor/IT guy wouldn't let him do that.  His machine worked fine for the other three finals.

I think there should be another option for students in this position.  I think giving the handful of people with computer problems a pass to the computer lab to finish, letting the IT people match up the multiple files submitted is a better way to handle these situations.

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »
Start writing in a blue book is the option.  Only people who have had problems is (1) people who haven't tested out the software; and (2) mac users (not because there's anything wrong with macs but because exam software is notoriously incompatible).

I apparently kicked my power cord during the test and it was unplugged. My computer died due to no power. It wasn't really a problem though.