Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice: Grades Took A Long Walk Off a Short Cliff  (Read 1342 times)

JTakeTheWheel

• View Profile
Advice: Grades Took A Long Walk Off a Short Cliff
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »
I am a freshly minted 2L, from a T4 school who dropped from the top 25% of the class to the top 60%.  My Avg is an 80.93 on a B- Curve.  At this point what should I do. I realize that with the job market being in shambles, my school's ranking and my decline in academic performance I don't really have any promising prospects in terms of landing a job for fall OCI. Should I take a couple of years off and retake the LSAT and reapply to law school or continue into my 2L year with the hope that I can enhance my GPA and land a job in my 3L fall. I was shocked at my performance as I believed I had written A exams in 2 of the 3 classes that I received C's in. 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: Grades Took A Long Walk Off a Short Cliff
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:52:47 PM »
That sucks, but there really isn't enough information here to give you advice.  Are you happy with the location of your law school?  Do you have any connections?  What are you doing your 1L summer?  What's the debt situation like?  Are you married?  Do you have kids? How long have you been out from UG?  Coming out of a T4 with bad grades isn't the end of the world if you graduate with little to no debt and plan to go solo or already have a job lined up where your employer doesn't care about your grades.  Of course, if you're married and/or a little further along in life, you might not have the luxury of toiling away for a few years before making some money or running the risk that you can't make money as a lawyer. 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »
I am a freshly minted 2L, from a T4 school who dropped from the top 25% of the class to the top 60%.  My Avg is an 80.93 on a B- Curve.  At this point what should I do. I realize that with the job market being in shambles, my school's ranking and my decline in academic performance I don't really have any promising prospects in terms of landing a job for fall OCI. Should I take a couple of years off and retake the LSAT and reapply to law school or continue into my 2L year with the hope that I can enhance my GPA and land a job in my 3L fall. I was shocked at my performance as I believed I had written A exams in 2 of the 3 classes that I received C's in. 

Much easier solution that taking a few year off and retaking the LSAT. Start looking for a job like someone who knows what the ^&*% they are doing. Join your local bar association, start going to events, see if there is an inn of the court in your town, join. Get the hell out of school and out in the legal profession and start meeting real working lawyers and judges who might be able to help you find a job. START NETWORKING.

It takes time, but if you do it now and do it right for the next two years who you know will beat where you go and what your grades are. You canít afford to rely on you schools name and grades to get you a job so you want to avoid at all costs mass mailing resumes, itís a stupid way to find a job, even worse when you got no school rep or high rank to make you stand out. Get out there and get to know some legal people in your community. Pick up Guerilla Tactics for Getting the Law Job of your Dreams by Kimm Walton.

You need to be proactive in finding a job, not re-active (ie. Hoping for OCI or someone to just offer you a job from some resume you sent out, thatís how folks get stuck with crap jobs because thatís the only options they tried.) Your grades are what they are, no changing that, you should instead put more time into networking and meeting people and forming relationships with lawyers and judges in your town so that 2 years from now, when they know you well, they will recommend you for jobs to people they know, jobs that your classmates may not ever know about because 80% of the legal job market is done ďinternallyĒ word of mouth stuff. People would much prefer to hire someone that someone they trust has personally recommended over putting out a want add and interviewing tons of people and hope in that 30 mins they can actually pick the right person for 100s of unknown applicants. Who you know can make all of that much easier.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
You need to be proactive in finding a job, not re-active (ie. Hoping for OCI or someone to just offer you a job from some resume you sent out, thatís how folks get stuck with crap jobs because thatís the only options they tried.)

This is an interesting point.  I got my 1L job from networking.  I got my 2L job from OCI due to high grades and law review.  I was offered a job from both employers at the end of my 2L summer.  I went with the 1L employer, who didn't really care about my grades and the fact that I was a fancy pants law review editor.  I went with the 1L employer because I knew I would enjoy working there and the practice area was more up my alley (although less money, at least at first.)

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:44:35 PM »
I really don't think it matters how you do.  You are going to have a JD when you graduate and you're going to have to work your way up.  I think it's so dumb for people to quit something like this halfway through.
Emory 2L
LSN

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40:07 AM »
The key issue here is your debt load. If you're paying full price for a T4, you should consider taking time off to work. 
I am officially a law school graduate : )

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:07:10 PM »
Wait a second... you can retake the LSAT and reapply to a better school after you are done with 1L? Seriously?  ???