Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best 1L Prep Book?  (Read 5061 times)

1s2io72

• View Profile
Re: Best 1L Prep Book?
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 10:39:32 PM »
I'd vote for:  (1) law school conficential; (2) getting to maybe; (3) Bryan Garner's legal writing in plain english.  The writing book has mini assignements every few pages that can be done quickly and will help you in your legal writing classes.  For me, legal writing was very time consuming.  Now that I have this book, I can see lots of good tips that would have saved me time writing memos.  Finding ways to save yourself time, so you can spend it studying the doctrinal classes, is important.  And, legal writing is one of those things you can, at least partially, teach to yourself by getting some of the formulaic stuff down ahead of time.

1s2io72

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 10:50:45 PM »
One more thought....listening to the audio CDs is a good way to get a general idea of what's coming (e.g., Sum and Substance series).  You don't have to get it all, but having a 10 hour lecture from profs can be very helpful and puts off the inevitable pain that will be felt by your eyes and cranium.  Just sit back and let some of it soak in.  Just having heard the vocabulary will give you an edge.  In case you don't know yet, managing your time as effectively as possible to learn faster than others is part of the game.  Hearing the same information on audio might trigger something in your brain, plus it gives you another view from an expert. 

Life of a Law Student was a free audio thing that you can listen to online.  The property lectures were alright and mostly accurate (they are posted by a law student).  The other classes seemed pretty useless.  I am guessing his prop prof was his best teacher.

E & E - sounds awful.  But, if you can force yourself to read them, it will be useful.

DLS2009

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 02:17:16 PM »
These suggestions are good.  In fact, I have many of these items (E&E's, hornbooks and Law in a Flash 1L flash cards) available at SIGNIFICANT DISCOUNTS in my Ebay store, here:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/discountlawsupplements2009_W0QQ_dmdZ1QQ_in_kwZ1QQ_ipgZ200QQ_sopZ12?_rdc=1

May of these auctions are closing today.  You might want to check them out, prices are below the market!

mtbrider59

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
My apologies to all previous posters but you're all wrong, the best prep book is a good old fashion novel, read on a beach with a cool drink in hand and a gentle breeze- RELAX while you can, you'll have plenty to read once you arrive at law school