Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How hard is law school?  (Read 66684 times)

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How hard is law school?
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2009, 12:24:58 PM »
To Law Students: Would you say you can still pass all the classes if you studied less than 2 hours a day? (Assuming that I study about twice as much during the exam week?)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »
To Law Students: Would you say you can still pass all the classes if you studied less than 2 hours a day? (Assuming that I study about twice as much during the exam week?)

Going to depend on you, how much work you actually get done in two hours, and what school you go to. If you go to a school with a high curve where no one ever fails out, probably could pass on just two hours, if you go to a school with a low curve that fails out a number of students each year, no, you canít work two hours and pass.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2009, 01:26:55 PM »
Sounds like I'd better enjoy my freetime while I can before I start in January. :) Dosn't sound like I'll have much free time once I start.

Going to depend on you, how much work you actually get done in two hours, and what school you go to. If you go to a school with a high curve where no one ever fails out, probably could pass on just two hours, if you go to a school with a low curve that fails out a number of students each year, no, you canít work two hours and pass.

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2009, 01:35:07 PM »
Do you know which schools have particularly high/low curve? What kind does USD/Temple/Case Western have?

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »
Most schools have their Student handbooks on their website which you can check for specific curves.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »
I have a (rising 3L) friend at Emory that goes to classes and spends about 1h/night 7d/w on school (but he does go to 2/3 of the classes, and is productive in the time he does work).  He has like a 2.6 or so.  Failing out at a top-50 school is seriously hard to do if you are as smart as the other students.

I would recommend against picking a school based on the curve as a big factor.
Emory 2L
LSN

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2009, 02:46:37 PM »
I have a (rising 3L) friend at Emory that goes to classes and spends about 1h/night 7d/w on school (but he does go to 2/3 of the classes, and is productive in the time he does work).  He has like a 2.6 or so.  Failing out at a top-50 school is seriously hard to do if you are as smart as the other students.

Iíll say that by the time you reach 3L or 4L for me, you can get away with less than 2 hours a day most classes and still do really well. You really have mastered  the basics, and figuring out any subject does not take you very long anymore and you know what is important adn what is flulf by then. But going from the minimal effort I put in the last two semesters (that included getting like 30+ days of skiing in) to studying 12-14 hours day for the bar was/is a real adjustment.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2009, 12:14:39 AM »
I take it that you thought that law school was easier in the last semesters than the first? Makes sense to me. I only got a C in english1 but an A in english2 in undergrad. Same principal I guess.

Iíll say that by the time you reach 3L or 4L for me, you can get away with less than 2 hours a day most classes and still do really well. You really have mastered  the basics, and figuring out any subject does not take you very long anymore and you know what is important adn what is flulf by then. But going from the minimal effort I put in the last two semesters (that included getting like 30+ days of skiing in) to studying 12-14 hours day for the bar was/is a real adjustment.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2009, 08:01:50 PM »
Like many other 0Ls out there, Ive heard million times that law school is hard. I would really like to know HOW HARD law school really is. Is it really something that you have to put so much effort into so that you will be mentally/physically drained everyday? Is it really that much different than UG?
To briefly introduce myself, I recently graduated with Cum Laude(3.5 GPA). During my UG years, I was one of those kids who would 'get by' by not studying all that much during the weekdays (maybe couple hours per day, or less) and study intensely for like 3~4 days before an exam and somehow pull an A. I was really into video gaming/playing sports that I spent most of my time being involved in those activities with my friends.(and yea, also partying occasionally) Now I understand the amount of material covered by law school each day is so much more than UG one so you can't afford to procristinate so much, but isn't studying 2~3 hours a day enough for any type of studying? I mean, I can't imagine myself studying for like the entire day (as many law school related books tell us) I think I can focus well for like 2 to 3 hours but any more than that would be superflous and not effective at all. Having said all that, I am by no means an ignorant/unmotivated kid, I am interested in learning about the law and society as well as any academic subject (except maybe math). I am willing to work hard but also realize there is a limit as to how hard I would do so. So my question is, can I still be a video game addict while in law school? Can I still spend 3~4 hours playing basketball after classes or am I just bound to fail if I live like how I did during my UG years?I would appreciate any input from current law students/graduates. Thanks a lot in advance.  :) 

Can you play hours of video games and basketball and still make it through Law School?  Absolutely. No problem.  4th Tier law Schools aside, flunking out of law school is a rarity, so if the question is can time still be devoted to activities outside of law school without the threat of failure, then you most certainly can.

Stated differently, staying in law school is relatively easy.

Now, excelling in law school, which is I think what you may have meant to ask, is an entirely different matter.  Most people generally don't drop $150 large on a law school education just to graduate with average grades and an average job - they tend to want to be in the top 10-15%.  This is what makes law school so hard - this and the fact that grades are determined upon (i) the subjective interpretation of the professor and (ii) The Curve!  So in other words, even if you're smart, in order to get to the top of the class you have to be able to phrase your answers in a manner that is to your professor's liking and in a way that stands out above everybody else in your class who, by the way, are also as smart as you are (if not smarter).

So staying in law school while playing video games and basketball all day, no problem.  Actually succeeding in law school while playing video games and basketball all day, problem.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
Can you play hours of video games and basketball and still make it through Law School?  Absolutely. No problem.  4th Tier law Schools aside, flunking out of law school is a rarity, so if the question is can time still be devoted to activities outside of law school without the threat of failure, then you most certainly can.

Stated differently, staying in law school is relatively easy.

Now, excelling in law school, which is I think what you may have meant to ask, is an entirely different matter.  Most people generally don't drop $150 large on a law school education just to graduate with average grades and an average job - they tend to want to be in the top 10-15%.  This is what makes law school so hard - this and the fact that grades are determined upon (i) the subjective interpretation of the professor and (ii) The Curve!  So in other words, even if you're smart, in order to get to the top of the class you have to be able to phrase your answers in a manner that is to your professor's liking and in a way that stands out above everybody else in your class who, by the way, are also as smart as you are (if not smarter).

So staying in law school while playing video games and basketball all day, no problem.  Actually succeeding in law school while playing video games and basketball all day, problem.

Well-stated.