Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How hard is law school?  (Read 65445 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: How hard is law school?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:40:42 PM »
am I just bound to fail if I live like how I did during my UG years?[/b]

Yes.

To elaborate:

You will not have time for 3-4 hours of basketball after classes. You cannot continue to be a video game addict. Until you graduate, your job is to be a law school addict.

There should be a big caveat with this: for some people its true, for others its not. Seriously I played WoW all through law school (with some breaks, and not at finals) I have a PS3 in the living room and another one in the master bedroom. Iím playing Fallout 3 between bar study sessions.

I took between 10-12 credits every semester for 4 years while working either PT or FT as a law clerk and running my own small business. I graduated within the top 13 people in my class (ranks for this year not out yet). Some people can do it, you just have to be a good time manager. But there are other things I could not do, or did not do, for the sake of school, like not taking more than 1 weeks vacation (i.e. that included no school work in that time) in five years.

People can still have lives outside of law school, you just have to decide what you want to give up, for me I would rather have most weekends off then 6 weeks away from home a year. I was willing to give up watching network TV, get a tivo and not go out to as much so, and get up by 5:30 AM every morning so I could continue my game playing because that was a hobby and stress reliever that I really enjoyed. Iím sure there are things you did not give up, that I would consider a luxury, for me giving up games was just not an option.

Good to meet some fellow gamers here  ;)
It's kinda same for me. I mean, I played video games all my life. At times, I would not go to parties or hang out with people for weeks, but I would always play video games and play basketball everyday. Like you said, its just not an option for me to give that up. I mean, I get so much stress doing other things (especially school work/social pressure etc) and gaming or exercising is what gives me the necessary time to forget about things. I guess I no longer can play 5 hours of WOW per day. (I'm also a hardcore Starcraft player. I'm sad law school is gonna overlap with the release of SC2  :P) Anyways, Thanks a lot guys.

The main thing for me, and what made it work for me and still allow me to have an outside life and work and do good in school was setting up a time schedule every semester AND STICKING TO IT. No bull I would go into MS outlook and create recurring events for class days (one color for each class), events for study and subject (like Tues/Thurs 3-6 PM STUDY TORTS and set it for the whole semester. Same thing for work. Same thing for every class. So I had a color coded calendar for the entire 3 months semester.
Each week I would print that out and stick it next to my computer.

This FORCED me to stay on task on schedule. I never said ďI need to read torts sometime todayĒ, if I did that I would f-around and waste time. Instead I had torts scheduled for 3-6 PM and that IS EXACTLY AND ONLY what I did at that time.
What I had to avoid was just saying I need to read this and Iíll get to it today. NO way that would work, I would keep putting it off. By setting my schedule for everything in advance, and keeping to it every week it became habit. I also set times for games. But if I did not get my school *&^% done on schedule then I had to take from my game time (or skiing time in the winters).

So it was a good motivator to stay on schedule and on task. Most often I had more time scheduled than I needed, but by exam time I had to add extra study time to the schedule. So basically it worked for me because I forced myself to manage my time and stick to a schedule. This may not work for everyone, but it worked for me and allowed me to do all that *&^% and still have a life outside school/work.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

eat it

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »
Not as hard as everyone says it is.  Law students are whiny little bitches.  I went to the gym every single day, twice some days.  I watched a *&^% ton of TV.  I banged a lot of chicks.   I read for 1/3 of my classes.  I studied a couple weeks before and during finals.  I figured my *&^% out second semester and ended up above median.

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 11:16:23 PM »
I really haven't found it that hard. I still play video games (I'm not an addict, but if I don't have anything else to do I'll usually play for an hour or two), I go out on the weekends.....I probably only put in 8 hours a day during the week including class.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 11:59:39 PM »
Shouldn't the real question be "Is Mass Effect the best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2, and is NPE going to go play it right now?"

To both of which the answer is Yes Indeed.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 02:16:32 AM »
It's hard, but manageable. You'll have free time once you learn to budget your time well.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 07:49:25 AM »
It is hard but manageable.  Law school is neither so difficult nor so important as the LSAT.  If you Ace the bloody LSAT and graduate last from Harvard, you might still get Biglaw offers.  On the other hand, You could do so-so (160) on the LSAT and graduate in the top 25 percent from, for example, Temple, and get stuck at 60K per year after graduation. 

Law school is easy and unimportant compared to the Fing LSAT. Of course, I am exaggerating in order to make a point, but it is a frustrating and important point, especially in this economy. : ( 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 07:51:18 AM »
If you can, the best way to minimize study time is to be intensely focused and treat school like a 9-5 job. That is, 9-5 do absolutely nothing other than study and go to class. I was terrible at this and ended up studing more until late into the night 5-6 days per week, but the people who are better at it can get their reading done and still have more free time than I did.

This is the advice I tell 0L's.  Treat it like a job, and the rest comes (more) naturally.  

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 08:17:26 AM »
I agree with, "hard, but manageable."  I just did not have the time to devote to studying that a lot of people had.  I think I would have benefited from a little more time to read supplements- or maybe from joining a study group.  Still, I was an above-median student and I did have a life outside of law school.  Also, I really enjoyed my 1L year and fell in love with the material, and I think that is a little success all its own.  :)

(Although, don't get me wrong, I'm not volunteering to do it over.  Just sayin') 
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

RobAnonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 09:53:39 AM »
I think treating it like a job is the best advice one could give.  I went straight from undergrad to LS but I knew I would have to put time in day and day out.  Honestly, the two toughest things about law school, for me at least, was the daily grind - there was always more reading to catch up on or you'd always think, "oh maybe I should work on my memo,"  and the inability to gauge how well you are doing and not knowing whether your study habits will work out for you.

That said, I worked at school from my first class in the morning 9:00, 10:30 whatever it may have been and then stayed until 7-8 depending on when the day started and how I was doing on my assignments.  However, I would never stay too late even if I didn't finish all my reading for the next day.  I commuted via train so I have some time on the train every morning and every night to continue reading.  I honestly never studied on weekends, I maybe cracked a book about 5 times on the weekend all of 1L year if that even.  I was less concerned about it during the second semester when I realized any reading I wasnt prepared for during class I could pick up on the back end during outlining.  I also probably took 1 weekend each semester to do some heavy duty work on my memo or brief.  I was successful in classes even where I completed my outline the night before the exam (successful in terms of A/A-) and not so successful, getting grades at the median with that strategy as well.  This is not a strategy I would recommend for most people, but it worked decently well for me as I was able to think more about the big picture and didn't have time to muck around with some of the details that are usually irrelevant for the purposes of law school exams.   

Law School is hard because it is an emotionally draining daily grind and you really don't know where you will end up.  Everyone else is just as smart as you, which is intimidating in the sense that unless you are a narcissist you will at some point believe that you will be setting the bottom half of the curve which causes you to worry about where all this emotionally draining work is taking you.  My strategy was to worry, but not overwhelm myself by making law school completely my life.  Sometimes you just need to let yourself go for awhile, you can certainly be successful without putting in the most time.

I will say this though, if you are concerned about your work ethic, don't worry so was I.  My work ethic increased ten-fold but I still retained some of my more lackadaisical undergrad tendencies and did perfectly fine, Top 1/3rd - not an all star but I never wanted to do big law anyway.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 06:08:51 AM »
It is hard but manageable.  Law school is neither so difficult nor so important as the LSAT.  If you Ace the bloody LSAT and graduate last from Harvard, you might still get Biglaw offers.  On the other hand, You could do so-so (160) on the LSAT and graduate in the top 25 percent from, for example, Temple, and get stuck at 60K per year after graduation. 

Law school is easy and unimportant compared to the Fing LSAT. Of course, I am exaggerating in order to make a point, but it is a frustrating and important point, especially in this economy. : ( 

Word.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.