Law School Discussion

How hard is law school?

Matthies

• View Profile
Re: How hard is law school?
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2009, 06:28:22 AM »
I take it that you thought that law school was easier in the last semesters than the first? Makes sense to me. I only got a C in english1 but an A in english2 in undergrad. Same principal I guess.

I have a (rising 3L) friend at Emory that goes to classes and spends about 1h/night 7d/w on school (but he does go to 2/3 of the classes, and is productive in the time he does work).  He has like a 2.6 or so.  Failing out at a top-50 school is seriously hard to do if you are as smart as the other students.

I would recommend against picking a school based on the curve as a big factor.

Iíll say that by the time you reach 3L or 4L for me, you can get away with less than 2 hours a day most classes and still do really well. You really have mastered  the basics, and figuring out any subject does not take you very long anymore and you know what is important adn what is flulf by then. But going from the minimal effort I put in the last two semesters (that included getting like 30+ days of skiing in) to studying 12-14 hours day for the bar was/is a real adjustment.

Easier in the sense that your far more fluent in the law by the end then you are in the beginning. Law school is kind of like learning a new language by immersion, fist year its all new and your pretty lost. Second year you have good working knowledge but lots of things are still new. Third year, while not fluent, you can speak well with the natives, and you can pick up what you donít know much quicker and through conversation because you have mastered whatís important and whatís not, so your just working on fine tuning your vocabulary now to the less common words you have not encounter yet, youíve mastered the basics of style, language, tense ect. So just adding a few more detailed and specific words or ideas to your vocabulary takes very little effort now because you have a good foundation.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2009, 09:32:07 AM »
I have a (rising 3L) friend at Emory that goes to classes and spends about 1h/night 7d/w on school (but he does go to 2/3 of the classes, and is productive in the time he does work).  He has like a 2.6 or so.  Failing out at a top-50 school is seriously hard to do if you are as smart as the other students.

I would recommend against picking a school based on the curve as a big factor.

Iíll say that by the time you reach 3L or 4L for me, you can get away with less than 2 hours a day most classes and still do really well. You really have mastered  the basics, and figuring out any subject does not take you very long anymore and you know what is important adn what is flulf by then. But going from the minimal effort I put in the last two semesters (that included getting like 30+ days of skiing in) to studying 12-14 hours day for the bar was/is a real adjustment.

co-sign!

My fall semester 3L year, I attended my Commercial Real Estate class maybe 4 or 5 times throughout the semester (not exaggerating), showed up to the final with a 20-page outline that was given to me by somebody else, and got a flat out "A" on the exam after a week of studying.  That would have never happened during 1L.

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2009, 04:10:09 PM »
My first year of law school was so hard, so unnecessarily so, that my mission is to tell all 1Ls and students interested in law school the "secrets" so that you don't have to go through the anxiety and stress I experienced. Truly, a little bit of knowledge and a detailed study program should alleviate most of the confusion. That way you have more time to do the things you love like basketball and spend time with the people you love. You will still have to work harder than you ever have but without a lot of second guessing and loaded with the knowledge law school fails to teach you (and just assumes you know). Contact me at birdielawschool@gmail.com if you want to know more.

« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »
My first year of law school was so hard, so unnecessarily so, that my mission is to tell all 1Ls and students interested in law school the "secrets" so that you don't have to go through the anxiety and stress I experienced. Truly, a little bit of knowledge and a detailed study program should alleviate most of the confusion. That way you have more time to do the things you love like basketball and spend time with the people you love. You will still have to work harder than you ever have but without a lot of second guessing and loaded with the knowledge law school fails to teach you (and just assumes you know). Contact me at birdielawschool@gmail.com if you want to know more.
And does this little bit of knowledge come at a price?

M_Cool

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2009, 07:10:09 PM »
I blew off reading cases for my second semester of 1L, didn't pay attention in classes, but studied/made outlines the last ~3 weeks before finals.  Aced every exam.  Definitely possible to do well without doing much.  At the end of the day it is only a 3-4 hour exam.  They can only put so much on it and anything they can test you in that amount of time you can learn in 3 weeks.

« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2009, 09:26:58 AM »
Law school is absolutely harder than undergrad but the amount of time it will take will depend on your personal study habits. Some people are capable of reading something once and "getting it," while others will have to re-read the same thing multiple times. Some people will be fine with skimming the readings and taking decent notes in class while others will need to consult extensive outside resources. The important thing is being honest with yourself about what you actually need. Everyone is bright or they wouldn't be in the school. It's not a matter of intelligence. Everyone just has their own methods of learning new information and  some of those methods take longer than others. If you barely spent any time doing work in undergrad, you will probably spend less time working in law school than the people who spent a lot of time working in undergrad.

The important thing is to just be aware of what you need and not to let other people influence that. If you need extra time to keep up with your classmates, put in the work. If you need help, don't be ashamed about asking. If you find you are getting certain concepts quickly, don't just keep reading to make yourself feel better. (I think many law students seriously overwork because of some strange fear that they are not working hard enough or long enough)

Personally, I never miss class and I take careful notes while in class. Several of my classmates don't do this. However, I have found that as long as I work diligently from 8am until 5pm or 6pm, I almost never have to do any work on the weekends or past 6pm.