Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Career Prospects after law school  (Read 1705 times)

911TurboS

• View Profile
Career Prospects after law school
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:47:11 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but here it is... I plan to go to law school on the east coast, NYU or Columbia if I do as I expect on the LSAT, Georgetown if slightly worse. I am looking to focus on business law. The thing is, I would really like to end up working in the San Francisco bay area. So for the sake of this discussion, how difficult is it for someone who graduates near the top of their class to get a job that is on the other side of the country (especially with Berkeley and Stanford there)? This is really just a question out of curiosity. I may find I really enjoy living in NYC. Having never been in the northeast, I know nothing about what it is like. If I can get into Berkeley I will definitely go there of course. I couldn't see picking USC/LA over Columbia.

Thanks!

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Career Prospects after law school
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 12:06:53 AM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but here it is... I plan to go to law school on the east coast, NYU or Columbia if I do as I expect on the LSAT, Georgetown if slightly worse. I am looking to focus on business law. The thing is, I would really like to end up working in the San Francisco bay area. So for the sake of this discussion, how difficult is it for someone who graduates near the top of their class to get a job that is on the other side of the country (especially with Berkeley and Stanford there)? This is really just a question out of curiosity. I may find I really enjoy living in NYC. Having never been in the northeast, I know nothing about what it is like. If I can get into Berkeley I will definitely go there of course. I couldn't see picking USC/LA over Columbia.

Thanks!

Sorry, not to be too snarky, but I guess I'm about to be... so you are assuming both that you will do well enough on the LSAT to get into NYU or Columbia and that once there you will be near the top of your class? Because that is a lot of questionable assumptions.

To answer your real question, you should be fine coming back to San Francisco from NYU or Columbia, especially if you have some kind of demonstrable ties to the area. I was about to say you'd be fine coming back from almost anywhere in your class, but all bets are kind of off right now with the economy in the shape that it's in. I would say you have just as good a chance in San Francisco coming from NYU or Columbia as you do coming from Berkeley as long as you have a good reason you can give interviewers for wanting to be in SF.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 08:09:19 AM »
Yea, since you're new, you get a pass.  However, you should take the LSAT before asking about specific schools.  If you get into a T14, you will likely be able to find employment back in SF if you have ties to the area and perform at median or above.  You really can't presume you will perform above median.  Everyone wants to, but only half of your class will. 

The northeast is pretty awesome if I do say so myself. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »
*anecdotal evidence alert*

I have a friend-of-a-friend who went to University of Chicago, did very well, and could not for the life of her find a position in the Bay Area.  It seemed to be caused mainly by the lack of connections the school shared with the area, rather than any integral problem on her part.  She's now employed (good firm) but it did take her a while since the network wasn't there for her to use.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »
*anecdotal evidence alert*

I have a friend-of-a-friend who went to University of Chicago, did very well, and could not for the life of her find a position in the Bay Area.  It seemed to be caused mainly by the lack of connections the school shared with the area, rather than any integral problem on her part.  She's now employed (good firm) but it did take her a while since the network wasn't there for her to use.

OMG violation of LSD proof standards: ie. using actual person/event to substantiate a claim when obviously conjecture, or speculation, or common wisdom is that going to a name brand school 3,000 miles from where you work automatically means that hiring partner, when he receives your unsolicited resume in the mail on the other side of the country, will run down the wood paneled office hallway screaming like a prepubescent girl we got an applicant from GEORGETOWN! OMG< OMG< OMG!! until he finally collapses in a heap of his own excrement from the shear overwhelming excitement of the event in the lobby of the 37 floor of the SF biglaw firm is how things are done on here. Please delete any actual evdiece to the contrary and make some poo up. Kthxbi
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:39:30 PM »
 :D
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »
Oh, and before Dash gets in here and violates another tenant of LSD proof standards Ill just simply state the rule: One who has actually personally done the thing upon which he intends to give advice on in an LSD thread is not to be taken seriously on the subject matter at hand.

As such since Dash successfully landed a summer gig in SF from an east coast elite school she is not allowed to post on this thread any personal experiences that might influence the advice seeker.

However, had Dash never even been to SF, never applied there, did not even know it was in CA or what the area code was, then she would, under common LSD methods of proof be completely qualified to say with exact certainty that the results would be universally 100% successful for any applicant come from a east coast school to secure a SF big law job, including but not limited to said firm firing any Stanford or Berkeley grads it might have made offers to enabling it to make room for said Georgetown graduate.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »
So, unless you're unable to locate California, DC or New York on a map, you can't give advice?

Not on LSD, but you can give advice about places that you can't locate on a map or you don't know exist, that's with in the rules

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 04:44:21 PM »
So, unless you're unable to locate California, DC or New York on a map, you can't give advice?

Not on LSD, but you can give advice about places that you can't locate on a map or you don't know exist, that's with in the rules

Like such as South Africa or the Iraq?