Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 168 & 3.6 from Ivy  (Read 700 times)

browntj50

• View Profile
168 & 3.6 from Ivy
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:38:01 PM »
3.6 GPA from Ivy (not HYP)
168 LSAT
Varsity athlete
President of highest budgeted student group on campus, among other EC's
Summer Internship @ Goldman Sachs last summer

I am working for a non-profit in Brazil for a year or two before applying to law school, but I just wanted to get input on what my chances are at various places. I think my chances at a place like Duke/Georgetown/Berkeley are pretty good, but I'm not sure about Harvard/Yale/Stanford. What do you think are reasonable bets versus ones that might be stretches?

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: 168 & 3.6 from Ivy
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:48:02 AM »
For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume you're not URM. In which case, I don't see you getting into HYS. I'd wing an application at CCN, but I don't see that as likely, either. I think Mich, UVA, and/or Penn might be nice solid reaches, but Berkeley likes higher GPAs, all other things equal, and in my own personal experience, is less than impressed by Ivy credentials. Duke and GULC seem likely, and with real-world experience, Northwestern might be a good bet.

Does LSN tell you differently?
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:51:56 PM »
My first round, I had a 3.6 and a 166 from Yale, and was rejected from everywhere in the T14 except Cornell (and I didn't apply to Mich, Duke, or UVA).  I think there's actually quite a big difference between a 166 and a 168, but (this is going to sound harsh, but it's true) don't make the mistake of thinking that your soft factors set you apart.

I retook the LSAT, got a 173, and my results were outrageously different.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:19:44 PM »
You'll get into Cornell, Duke, and maybe some of the bottom T14.  Maybe Mich and UPenn.