Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: personal statement  (Read 1162 times)

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
personal statement
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:50:40 PM »
Hi has anyone been in a situation where after you sent out a personal statement, you find some minor typos in there? that is after i checked it over a few times?

lawtransfer22

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: personal statement
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:45:36 PM »
It happens all the time. It is also not uncommon for people to miss changing the name of the school somewhere in it so don't stress too much about it, a few typos should not make or break you.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:47:37 AM »
It happens all the time. It is also not uncommon for people to miss changing the name of the school somewhere in it so don't stress too much about it, a few typos should not make or break you.

That may- and I emphasize may- be true for regular applications. You had better be sure that you don't screw up school names on your transfer applications though.

transferguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »

That may- and I emphasize may- be true for regular applications. You had better be sure that you don't screw up school names on your transfer applications though.

I don't understand why these mistakes are acceptable for regular applications but not for transfer apps.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 04:28:54 PM »
Well, first off, I don't really think that failing to change the name of a school in one's letters is acceptable in either circumstance.

That said, my feelings on how individualized to each school transfers apps should be have been widely posted here. Suffice it to say, it clearly shows a significant lack of personalization if you screw up the name of the school.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 05:14:45 PM »
I doubt it will matter, but I largely disagree with ToTransferOrNot about this.  My PS was 3/4 of a page, just direct and to the point, and I've already been admitted to a couple of T10 schools for transfer.  Anecdotal of course, but if I had to guess what matters it is probably (1) 1st year year grades; and a DISTANT (2) recommendation letters.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 05:31:32 PM »
If you already mailed it out, then all you can really do is wait and hope for the best on it. If you are applying to other schools try to double check it, but you cant fix whats already in the mail. Let us know how it works once they contact you about it. I hope you get in.  ;)

lemado

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »
When I originally applied for law school I realized that one of my personal statements had a HUGE error.  I actually deleted about a line and a half from the middle of a paragraph and so one sentence was incomplete and the paragraph made no sense.  I still got into the school so I guess it didnt really impact their decision.