Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 5% after 1st year with half ride - can I increase scholarship?  (Read 1351 times)

Stallion

• View Profile
Has anybody heard of somebody increasing their scholarship after the first year?  If so, is this automatic, or should I be asking the financial aid office for it?  As far as I know, the school will give out scholarships after the 1st year for really special students.  Does the top 5% warrant me being a really special student?  Do schools say this and really not give out additional scholarships?  Any advice/information is welcome.  I'm not really expecting additional money, but I thought it was worth a try.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5% after 1st year with half ride - can I increase scholarship?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:14:03 AM »
You should ask your financial aid department.  But schools tend to use scholarship money for recruiting students rather than retaining them.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:43:14 AM »
My impression is that if you are accepted to transfer to a higher-ranked school, a lot of schools will offer you more money to try to get you to stay, but that they won't up the ante unless there is actually a credible threat of you leaving. Might not be worth the trouble to apply to transfer just to find out if they will up your scholarship, but I believe that is generally your best shot.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:09:48 AM »
My impression is that if you are accepted to transfer to a higher-ranked school, a lot of schools will offer you more money to try to get you to stay, but that they won't up the ante unless there is actually a credible threat of you leaving. Might not be worth the trouble to apply to transfer just to find out if they will up your scholarship, but I believe that is generally your best shot.

Agreed.  You really need that transfer acceptance in hand in most cases.  It's annoying, and I think it rewards the wrong behavior, but it's the way it is.

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 07:12:44 AM »
Just check with your school.  Scholarships could very well be tied to your class rank....or not.

And yes, you are a special little snowflake.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »
Is it just me, or is labeling oneself a "really special student" kind of hillarious?

Congratulations on your achievment, but thousands of people every year are top 5% in their 1L classes. You have some really good opportunities available to you, but the "really special student" label is questionable, at best ;)

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 12:44:36 PM »
It sounded to me like he was asking if his accomplishments would fit the description of the type of student that his school has said it will reward at the end of the first year. It's not like his screen name is "ReallySpecialStudent" or anything.

And to be honest, although I would agree than deeming oneself as such would be very DBish, if the average 1L class is say 200, there are only ~1,000 US law students attending Top 100 schools that finish in the Top 5% of their class. I'd probably go as far as to say that is a pretty small, elite sampling.

Edit: I guess I am taking for granted OP is at a Top100 school, but the general point remains the same regardless I think.

Is it just me, or is labeling oneself a "really special student" kind of hillarious?

Congratulations on your achievment, but thousands of people every year are top 5% in their 1L classes. You have some really good opportunities available to you, but the "really special student" label is questionable, at best ;)

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »
It sounded to me like he was asking if his accomplishments would fit the description of the type of student that his school has said it will reward at the end of the first year. It's not like his screen name is "ReallySpecialStudent" or anything.

Yeah, "Stallion" is much more humble. 

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »

Fair enough...

Yeah, "Stallion" is much more humble. 

Stallion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 11:13:15 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to ask whether or not I was a really special student at all.  Reading it back, it is definitely pretty tacky.  I meant to ask whether or not you guys thought that the standard of "really special student" would typically only be reserved for say the top two or three people in a class or if the top 5% would be included.  Anyway, sorry to come across that way.  Thanks for the advice.  I guess I'll call my financial aid office.