Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top School v. Top-Off Student Loans  (Read 843 times)

impatiently waiting

• View Profile
Top School v. Top-Off Student Loans
« on: June 18, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »
First note, I have a ton of loans already from undergrad and 1L, but despite a %75 scholarship I am definitely transferring.  So….

Is it better to go to a #30 school that cost $25,000/year (+living) for the nest two year... Or is it worth shelling out $45,000/year (around $120,000 for two years ) -- twice the price -- to go to a top 20 school (i.e. Emory or Vanderbilt)? What about the same high price for Duke or UMich?

Essentially, is it worth taking out an extra $60,000 in student loans to have a better name on my J.D?

Thanks!

lemado

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Top School v. Top-Off Student Loans
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 09:13:12 AM »
Personally, I think that Duke or Michigan would be worth it.  The other two, maybe not so much.  I spoke to a professor of mine about transferring and the extra cost and he told me that its not really worth it to tranfer to schools outside the top 14.  I too have a 75% scholarship and I'm attending a school ranked in the 70's.  At the school your attending now, you will still be able to get a good job if you keep your grades up; and you should have a better chance at making a journal than if you transfer.  But thats just my opinion.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top School v. Top-Off Student Loans
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:48:33 AM »
If you are going to transfer and take on the additional cost I'd go to the school w/ the best OCI prospects you can get.  Depending on the school, the OCI prospects don't really get a lot better until you get into the T20.  To me, I'd probably do it for Vanderbilt on up over a 30s school (Ohio State?).  Emory, meh not so much, but maybe I'm just bias against Emory.