Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me make final transfer decision!  (Read 2581 times)

RonSantoRules

• View Profile
Re: Help me make final transfer decision!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
GULC can probably only help you.  It's not like your grades at AU suddenly go away when you transfer.  You will still have them on your resume to show all the firms this year.  This seems like an easy decision to me.  You (1) don't have to move (I don't know if you have a wife or GF or whatever but that can be really, really hard); and (2) AU is expensive as poo and is notorious for being bad with financial aid.  I'm guessing you don't have any scholarship so the $$$ will be the same. 

A lot of people (cough, me) are going to cheaper schools either because they are in-state or have significant scholarships.  Thus, they have to cough up a ton more $$ AND move away to a different state.  Now that is a harder decision, IMO.

I have to agree somewhat. While having law review on your resume as an interview booster for 2L OCI is beneficial, I can't help but wonder 2 things.

First, if firms are going to cut back hiring, might transfers feel the squeeze since they aren't as much of a proven commodity at their new schools? I'm sure some firms will be looking for any stupid reason to differentiate and this might (emphasis on might since I have no evidence either way) be a way to differentiate students at OCI.

Second, if we assume there will be less offers going out for SA positions and less offers after 2L summers (economy related reasons), might it be more beneficial to stay and have the law review credential on your resume forever instead of just for one summer? I would imagine it would suck to transfer, get no-offered after 2L summer, and have to do 3L OCI (if that will even exist) or mass mailing. At that point you will have a full set of grades at your new school and if you get stuck at the median, you will be a median "T14" student rather than a Law Review T50 student. At some point what you do at your new school becomes more relevant than what you did at your old school.

I'm struggling with many of these same issues myself so good luck with decision. I got into GULC EA and chose not to attend because I didn't feel it was worth it at sticker price. I, however, have a substantial scholarship at my current school so that was the deciding factor for me.   

deexod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 09:27:04 PM »

I'm struggling with many of these same issues myself so good luck with decision. I got into GULC EA and chose not to attend because I didn't feel it was worth it at sticker price. I, however, have a substantial scholarship at my current school so that was the deciding factor for me.   

Did you get the scholarship offer after you applied to GULC? I just wanted to know why you would apply and not go (unless you got into some place that made you happier or was better)? *Not meant to be rude at all if it comes out that way*

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
Go to GULC.
Vanderbilt 2010

RonSantoRules

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »

Did you get the scholarship offer after you applied to GULC? I just wanted to know why you would apply and not go (unless you got into some place that made you happier or was better)? *Not meant to be rude at all if it comes out that way*

Sorry that should have been clearer. Received the scholarship before starting 1L. I decided not to go because I didn't like the area and felt that with my spring grades I might be able to get into a better school. As of now I am still waiting on one grade so it might have been a bad decision on my part. I actually paid the 1st deposit but I had a couple spring grades back before the 2nd deposit was due and decided to roll the dice.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »
The lottery bidding system at most top schools isn't necessarily a disadvantage. I would call career services at GULC and ask them to explain it to you in detail b/c you sound like you don't really understand how the system works. The prescreened system at AU could be just as bad for you depending on the mind set of employers. Keep in mind DC is a very elitist job market. There is nothing preventing the big DC firms from filling their smaller than normal 2L summer classes (which were already substantially smaller than, say NYC in a GOOD year) exclusively with students from the top 3 or 4 schools, then only consider top 10% law review students from the rest of the T14. At this point they can pretty much do whatever they want.

I wouldn't factor 3L OCI in too much. Even in a good year, 3L OCI doesn't yield results for most of those going through it. With the current economy the chances that you'll get something are even slimmer. Basically, 2L OCI is your only chance if you want biglaw. Even then no guarantees b/c firms will just end up no-offerring half of their summer classes anyway, like they did back in 2000-2001 during the last econ downturn (which was not as bad as the current one). For the ones who do get offers, they will likely be deferred at least a year. And if business doesn't seriously improve they can simply rescind those offers if they feel like it. Again, this happened back in 2000-2001.

Law students can't really do anything about it, b/c they are the ones holding the debt and the firms are the ones offering the six fig salary to new hires. It's an inherently unequal negotiation power scenario.

Transfers are never treated as equals at the new school. They aren't treated as bottom of the class types either. Each firm will have it's own system for deciding how to treat transfers who were X class rank. Normally, most transfers who made the move to top schools got jobs in biglaw somewhere if they wanted a biglaw job. But these are not normal times, as you know. ABSOLUTE Worst case scenario, firms in 2L OCI will treat you like you are a student with whatever grades/rank/awards you got at the old school.

As for law review, a lot of employers just want to know that you "made" law review, not necessarily that you spent 2-3 years "doing" law review. The big exception is for clerkships, but if you can't maintain that high perfect gpa all 3 years of law school at the T50, clerkships are probably out. Also remember clerkships, as with all legal jobs, are more competitive than ever now because of the layoffs and shrinking hiring at biglaw. There are actually laid off midlevel associates with stunning resumes who will be taking a lot of those clerkship spots.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:40 PM »
If the OP is worried about debt and job prospects and really wants to stay at the T50 (I'm assuming it's AU?), here is my suggestion. Later on, after you've gotten your acceptance letters from all schools and all grades are back from the T50, try to negotiate for a scholarship at the T50. I know some would be transfers have done that in years past with success. No school wants their star students to leave. I can't guarantee it will work, but it's worth a shot.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »
I am only worried it will hurt because I will stand out more at my school and get most interviews, while GULC is a lottery.

What's so wrong about the lottery?  Either way you are going to get 15-20 interviews or whatever.

In any case, GULC isn't even going to be your decision if you are close to the #1 rank.  You will be a lock at CCN and a good shot at HYS.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 09:58:46 PM »
I am only worried it will hurt because I will stand out more at my school and get most interviews, while GULC is a lottery.

What's so wrong about the lottery?  Either way you are going to get 15-20 interviews or whatever.

In any case, GULC isn't even going to be your decision if you are close to the #1 rank.  You will be a lock at CCN and a good shot at HYS.

I agree. This question is largely academic, because you're going to get in to a much better school. GULC may not be worth it from American, but CCN is (no one is ever a lock at H, and especially not YS, but you do have as good a shot as anyone.)

win45

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »
No scholarship at AU, and no, nothing stops me from contacting other people.  But law rev at gulc is a question mark. 

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 11:17:57 PM »
No scholarship at AU, and no, nothing stops me from contacting other people.  But law rev at gulc is a question mark. 

Ah, I misunderstood about LR.  Tough call.  You probably can't go wrong.