Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me make final transfer decision!  (Read 2592 times)

win45

• View Profile
Help me make final transfer decision!
« on: June 18, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
I know I have posted this a couple times, but the decision needs to be made tonight. 
Note: This current decision does not account for the T6, which will be a later decision, but for now, I HAVE to make this choice. 
T50 Dc region school
Law Rev
highest grade 2 classes
Pros: get to keep grades, Law Rev
Cons: no prestige in long term.  Fall OCI list (30 large firms?)

GULC
Pros: More prestige
Cons: lost previous school's grades(Does this mean GULC will be more pressure and work???), Law Rev, LOTTERY SYSTEM (instead of basically everyone who comes to AU interviewing me, I only get around 10-15. 

PLEASE HELP THIS DECISION IS CRUSHING ME. 

win45

• View Profile
Re: Help me make final transfer decision!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »
Sorry, GPA is 3.94 (should be above top 5 percent)

deexod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »
There are many other factors that should be weighed in this decision.
Are you happy at your current school?
How confident do you feel about the T6?
Where do you want to practice?
What do you want to do with your degree?

I wouldn't necessarily put the Fall OCI list in the cons, you have to look at it from an alternative perspective. If you stay, you'll be among the top students vying for those spots while you may not necessarily get the exact same firms as GULC you never know what may come up.

Your GULC pro's and con's seems like the pro's and con's will knock each other out. While you may not be on law review, the more prestige will help make up some of the difference. However, staying on law review at your school will give you some more opportunities from them.

win45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 05:28:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply. 
I probably want to do DC big law.  I am just scared if I go to GULC it is more risky in terms of landing a 2L summer. 
I personally would rather go to GULC but I do not want to hurt myself!

deexod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »
Well I am not going to say I am all knowledgable about the DC area or even close to. You have shown that you have an ability to succeed at your current school and it will get noticed at OCI. I don't know if GULC does it but I know that some if not most or all other schools let you use your 1L numbers during interviews because those are the only numbers the employers can work with. So I wouldn't say you'd hurt your chances by any means, but figure out besides prestige why does GULC appeal to you. Why have you waited so long to make the decision or not? Well I'd say any of the schools would allow you to do DC big law if you want to when youre done.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »
GULC can probably only help you.  It's not like your grades at AU suddenly go away when you transfer.  You will still have them on your resume to show all the firms this year.  This seems like an easy decision to me.  You (1) don't have to move (I don't know if you have a wife or GF or whatever but that can be really, really hard); and (2) AU is expensive as poo and is notorious for being bad with financial aid.  I'm guessing you don't have any scholarship so the $$$ will be the same. 

A lot of people (cough, me) are going to cheaper schools either because they are in-state or have significant scholarships.  Thus, they have to cough up a ton more $$ AND move away to a different state.  Now that is a harder decision, IMO.

win45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »
I am only worried it will hurt because I will stand out more at my school and get most interviews, while GULC is a lottery. 

deexod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
The real question now is how good is your poker face?

Nebulous

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
I saw this post on TLS as well, but decided just to post here. 

With your GPA, you are likely first in your class.  Along with Law Review and the fact that you want to work in DC, this should be enough to stay. 

That you'll have guaranteed interviews from the best firms without a blind lottery is a huge deal.

One thing you're not mentioning but is very important is your network base at American.  Having friends and professors at your current school is a big pro.  When I went to ask for LORs from my professors, they made it clear that between me and a student that stayed at the school, they'd give them a rec over me in the future.  When I'll invariably need a recommendation for a 2L SA position, it would have been nice to count on that.   

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »
Any scholarship to AU?

Tough choice.  I would probably not transfer to GULC, but law review at GULC is tempting.  You are most likely going to get a biglaw gig with law review at GULC.  I don't think you can go wrong.  With the lottery system, are you precluded from contacting employers outside the lottery?  If you get lotteried out of a firm, is there anything to stop you from calling up the firm and interviewing 15 blocks away rather than on campus?