Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should I do after UG?  (Read 1040 times)

asoprano

• View Profile
What should I do after UG?
« on: June 18, 2009, 04:42:30 PM »
Hi, I'm new here so sorry if this is a repost of a similar topic or something...

I'm African American and I want to go to a T14, Stanford to be exact. Right now I have a full scholarship to an okay state university, studying music with a minor in Spanish, almost a 3.9 GPA, on track to graduate summa cum laude. I haven't taken the LSAT yet but I will probably score at least 170, knock on wood. The thing is I don't have very many extracurriculars or leadership positions. Would it be advantageous to take a year after undergrad to do AmeriCorps or a similar program? What I really want to do is teach English in Spain for 9 months and then travel throughout Europe working as a volunteer on organic farms through a program called WWOOF (google it, it's awesome!) but I don't know whether that would be any kind of boost to my LS apps at all.

Would it be better to apply to law school right out of UG, or should I gain work or travel experience before applying?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do after UG?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
If you want to travel, travel.  The program that you like sounds good.  The key for you will be the LSAT, not what you do during your year off...unless it's something groundbreaking.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 06:06:49 PM »
I laughed when I read this part:

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but I will probably score at least 170, knock on wood

Unless you have taken the actual LSAT and gotten a REAL SCORE, then you have no clue what your actual LSAT score is going to be.

I know, I know, you've taken practice exams and you have scored very high, but scoring high means nothing compared to your FINAL score.

The best thing you can do right now is practice practice practice so that you can actually get a high LSAT score. If not, then t14's won't care if you were reading to blind children in Uganda for a year.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 10:42:05 AM »
Right if you're theoretically scoring 170's already then you're good money.  Sit back and relax and wait for the big bucks to start rollin in.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

asoprano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 01:15:16 AM »
Thanks for the advice, you guys! I detect a little tongue-in-cheek there, Burning Sands, but I appreciate the sentiment. I'm definitely gonna work my ass off studying!

What I'm also wondering is would taking a year off hurt me in any way if I wasn't doing something unique and amazing?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 08:26:12 AM »
No.