Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not sure where to apply :/  (Read 1261 times)

cupcake313

• View Profile
Re: Not sure where to apply :/
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
Good idea on just sucking it up and applying to a ton of schools. You miss every shot you don't take, right?

Quick question- when they calculate your UGPA, do they factor in 0.0s even if they have been redone and passed with good grades? If so, I'm totally SOL in the UGPA department.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 02:54:55 PM »
I would also definitely apply to THE Michigan, there are always a few people with low GPAs that get in, and "I had Cancer" sounds like a good reason to have  bad grades to me.

It's a very long shot, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities. I'm not going to tell you that it's a good idea to plaster the T14 with applications. But if you're limiting yourself to just one anyway, you might as just do it.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 02:59:52 PM »
It usually only makes sense to apply out of state when the school is one with a national reputation or if you're looking to work elsewhere.  Since you want to stay in Michigan, your best bet would be to attend a law school in the state.  If you're able to get into a good school in a neighboring state that may be an option, but it's probably best to stay within Michigan.

It isn't that simple. There aren't two groups of law schools (National and Local), rather there is a sliding scale between the two points.  OP has a shot at some regional schools that would travel well to Michigan.  OP's list should look like:

Every Michigan Law School
Minnesota
Iowa
IU-B
UIUC
Notre Dame
Wisconsin

Aaaand if you look at my post, I mentioned schools in neighboring states.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 03:01:02 PM »
Good idea on just sucking it up and applying to a ton of schools. You miss every shot you don't take, right?

Quick question- when they calculate your UGPA, do they factor in 0.0s even if they have been redone and passed with good grades? If so, I'm totally SOL in the UGPA department.

If you retake a class and the original grade still shows up on your transcript, that will be calculated into the GPA.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
Cooley has an Honors program where if your LSAT is  over 163 you can get 100% scholarship. Your score was in the 170 range so you're well above that. I'd say go there for FREE the first year and if it blows then try to transfer. Its ABA approved and FREE and in Michigan like you want it to be. Here's a link to explain more on it.

http://cooley.edu/admissions/admhonorsscholarship.htm#new

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 06:53:39 PM »
Cooley has an Honors program where if your LSAT is  over 163 you can get 100% scholarship. Your score was in the 170 range so you're well above that. I'd say go there for FREE the first year and if it blows then try to transfer. Its ABA approved and FREE and in Michigan like you want it to be. Here's a link to explain more on it.

OP can get a full or near-full scholarship to a significantly better law school.  Cooley has some of the worst job placement numbers of any ABA accredited law school.  OP can do better.

cupcake313

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 11:00:48 PM »
In my situation, when my UGPA is calculated through the official law board, there is no way I'll have anything over a 2.0 (with the initial bad grade factored in). I'm not the person on here with a "horrible" UGPA at 3.4. Hah, I wish! I feel like I have a snowball's chance in hell in applying to UofMich, although it's my dream school.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »
You can plug in your grades into this calculator to get a rough idea of what your GPA will look like with LSAC.  Remember to include the original grades if they still show up on your transcript:

http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

cupcake313

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 11:20:28 PM »
Anybody have thoughts on a part-time program at Chicago Kent? I was doing research and read it's easier to get into a PT program, and it seems to be a good school... Cooley and UDM prospect is just totally depressing me.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »
If its so bad then why do the students who have his LSAT score and get full scholarships there have a near perfect first time bar passing rate. That's higher than a lot of the so called "better schools".

OP can get a full or near-full scholarship to a significantly better law school.  Cooley has some of the worst job placement numbers of any ABA accredited law school.  OP can do better.