Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not sure where to apply :/  (Read 1281 times)

cupcake313

• View Profile
Not sure where to apply :/
« on: June 18, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »
Hi All-
I'm brand new here, so if my thread has been discussed before I apologize!

To make a long story short...
I graduated from Wayne State University (in Michigan) and my UGPA is sh*t. This is not due to neglecting class, but due to the fact I was battling depression due to having cancer. I'm lucky to be in the clear now, but still dealing with my 2.5 UGPA (and that's not factoring in my W's and a few fails). Yes, I should have taken medical leave and whatnot, but it is what it is now.

I have taken the LSAT, and scored a 171. I want to stay within Michigan, but I guess I'm scared my only choice will be Cooley. I've read all the "don't go to a school you don't want to graduate from" posts, and a few of the success stories of their transfers.

I guess I'm just looking for any type of advice? Thanks in advance... :)

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure where to apply :/
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
Write a good PS that shows how you've learned from your cancer in some way, but also use it explain your GPA.
A 171 is a good LSAT score.  Apply to schools across the board - I would say apply even as high up as T25.

You won't be relegated to a T4 with a 171.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:52:09 AM »
If your in michigan apply to cooley. It is free to apply online at http://www.cooley.edu  I start there in january. They have 4 locations to pick from in michigan, and accept students with your GPA and much lower LSAT scores. They also offer courses ranging from an accelerated 2 year course to a slower 5 year weekends only course.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:15:05 PM »
Wow, neither response was particularly helpful.

If you weren't limited to Michigan, you would be targeting schools ranked 20-60.  With this limitation, though, your best option will likely be Michigan State.  MSU Law is private, but you should be in line for a small-medium sized scholarship.

Plan on applying to every school in Michigan (and a few neighboring states if at all possible).  Write a grade addendum.

cupcake313

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:59:19 PM »
Thanks for the responses. If I were to apply out of state, which schools would be reasonable choices?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 01:17:15 PM »
It usually only makes sense to apply out of state when the school is one with a national reputation or if you're looking to work elsewhere.  Since you want to stay in Michigan, your best bet would be to attend a law school in the state.  If you're able to get into a good school in a neighboring state that may be an option, but it's probably best to stay within Michigan.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:49:34 PM »
It usually only makes sense to apply out of state when the school is one with a national reputation or if you're looking to work elsewhere.  Since you want to stay in Michigan, your best bet would be to attend a law school in the state.  If you're able to get into a good school in a neighboring state that may be an option, but it's probably best to stay within Michigan.

It isn't that simple. There aren't two groups of law schools (National and Local), rather there is a sliding scale between the two points.  OP has a shot at some regional schools that would travel well to Michigan.  OP's list should look like:

Every Michigan Law School
Minnesota
Iowa
IU-B
UIUC
Notre Dame
Wisconsin

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »
How is that bad advice? You just said to apply to all lawschools in michigan. Four of those are Cooley Law schools.

Wow, neither response was particularly helpful.

If you weren't limited to Michigan, you would be targeting schools ranked 20-60.  With this limitation, though, your best option will likely be Michigan State.  MSU Law is private, but you should be in line for a small-medium sized scholarship.

Plan on applying to every school in Michigan (and a few neighboring states if at all possible).  Write a grade addendum.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »
I know this isn't particularly helpful, but the OP specifically said he doesn't want to go to Cooley.

awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »
How is that bad advice? You just said to apply to all lawschools in michigan. Four of those are Cooley Law schools.

OP says: I'm scared that Cooley will be my only choice, what do I do?
You say: Apply to Cooley!
I say: That isn't particularly helpful.