Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Decisions 09  (Read 6192 times)

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Decisions 09
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »
harvard status checker says admitted -- waiting on phone call to confirm that it isn't a mistake.

Congrats! Harvard wouldn't make a mistake like that.

win45

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »
In at CLS today.

want biglaw in DC

t50 in DC, law review, 3.94
OR
CLS

(Waiting on H and Y, but you know...)

Is this an easy choice?

tiesto82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 05:04:08 PM »
What time was the email dated? And when were you complete?

Triky

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 05:10:48 PM »
In at CLS today.

want biglaw in DC

OR
CLS

Is this an easy choice?

Honestly, I don't know if it's such an easy choice. In your spot, T50 in DC 3.94/LR, you're basically guaranteed biglaw in DC.

I'm sure there are numerous DC recruiters coming to C's OCI as well, but I don't know if your chances will be better.

You'd be transferring for prestige, not job opportunities IMO. Plus I'm sure you have some sort of scholarship now at your current school.
3.0 / 163

johnadams

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 05:14:23 PM »
just got the official email. hls bound!

harvard status checker says admitted -- waiting on phone call to confirm that it isn't a mistake.

Congrats! Harvard wouldn't make a mistake like that.

tiesto82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 05:17:52 PM »
In at CLS today.

want biglaw in DC

OR
CLS

Is this an easy choice?

Honestly, I don't know if it's such an easy choice. In your spot, T50 in DC 3.94/LR, you're basically guaranteed biglaw in DC.

I'm sure there are numerous DC recruiters coming to C's OCI as well, but I don't know if your chances will be better.

Honestly it depends on what firm you want to work for.  I am assuming Covington Burling!?!?!  Covington DC has 11 attorneys (Staff and Partners) from American and only 4 from Columbia.  

If its Williams and Connolly then you might be better off at UVA (27) or GULC (39) who both have about three times as many attorneys from their schools than Columbia who has 10.

For me it would depend on how much money I had

win45

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 05:41:32 PM »
No money now but they are going to give me some I think.

Don't you think these numbers could be self-selection?

tiesto82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 05:50:35 PM »
I mean dont get me wrong, I absolutely love Columbia; it is my dream school and honestly I'd transfer even if I could not do OCI there.  So it absolutely has nothing to do with rank hunting or career prospects for me, its just simply my dream.

But that may not be the case for you.  But that may not be the case for you.  I would take a look at the firms you want to work for.  In the DC market Covington, Williams, Arnold Porter, and Wilmer Cutler come to mind as the most prestigious firms that are headquartered in DC.  Go to their websites and check how many alumnus of your school and the schools you were accepted to are there.  Check to see if they are attending the various OCI/EIW's.

But whatever you do, do not move out of the market you want to work in without doing your research.

win45

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 05:55:16 PM »
They all go to Columbia, most go to AU.  But none of them DON'T go to Columbia.  So is it really about numbers?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 06:23:20 PM »
It is not all about numbers. It probably has to do with Columbia students self selecting to go to markets other than DC. Also, those places are very hard to get a job at. You'd need top grades at UVA or GULC to get a job at any of those firms. They are only looking at students in the top 10% or so from those schools.

Also be aware that as a transfer, firms are not going to view a 3.94 at the old school the same as a 3.94 at the new, higher ranked school. They may view a top American student as an only a top 1/3 or top 1/4 Columbia student, for example. How much they discount your gpa is going to depend on what school you transfer to, where you came from, and what firm you're talking about. You need to call the career office of the school you're transferring to and have a talk with them about this BEFORE placing bids for OCI.