Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMiami vs. FIU  (Read 10127 times)

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UMiami vs. FIU
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »
I like how you assume how much I make.  That's funny.  Not accurate...and funny.
Like I said, talk to me when you actually know something.  Graduate, pass the bar, get a job.  Until then, you're clueless, and your posts show it.By the way, I didn't graduate first in my class.  I was 7th.

Several weeks ago, I met a UM law alum who moved to Knoxville, TN.  I was there for a deposition, and we ended up sitting next to each other at a bar my first evening in town.  His views on where he would have gone to school were much different sitting at that bar than when he went into school as a 1L. 

I've had a job. Worked for a company named Goldman Sachs, you might have heard of them. LOL at some attorney for a no name law firm telling me to get a job.

Some lady with no high school diploma is working for Goldman Sachs as a cleaning lady. Your statement above means nothing with details as to what you did at Goldman Sachs. 

You got me there, I was just the janitor at Goldman!!! I just love being associated with them  ::) 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
In general, a lot of pre-laws and even people in law school have woefully unrealistic salary expectations.

And work expectations. I look forward to talking to another group of people next year that are going to make $160k doing international/sports law.

If you're refering to me, neither one of those are my goals.. I want to be a sports agent..

Not talking to you at all, just making an observation about a good number of entering law students. You actually seem to have your *&^% together.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 02:19:51 PM »
I like how you assume how much I make.  That's funny.  Not accurate...and funny.
Like I said, talk to me when you actually know something.  Graduate, pass the bar, get a job.  Until then, you're clueless, and your posts show it.By the way, I didn't graduate first in my class.  I was 7th.

Several weeks ago, I met a UM law alum who moved to Knoxville, TN.  I was there for a deposition, and we ended up sitting next to each other at a bar my first evening in town.  His views on where he would have gone to school were much different sitting at that bar than when he went into school as a 1L. 

I've had a job. Worked for a company named Goldman Sachs,

Oh Ive heard of them, but I thought is was Goldman's Sackz. They had a store in the mall right next the KB Toys and the cheese log place. I got a big gold plated M from them on a chain back during my white rapper phase. I was gonna get a grill too, but the stones they had were blood diamonds, and Im against that because Bono told me its bad.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

MCSEblows

• Save that silver tongue bull for the jury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »
The Miami-Dade public defender office had ~30 unpaid summer positions open to local schools last year. About 25 went to UM students and the other 5 were divided between St. Thomas, NOVA, and FIU.

This kind of hiring criteria is very common in Miami. It's one thing to pick a state school but it's quite another to pick a tier 4 state school.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »
The Miami-Dade public defender office had ~30 unpaid summer positions open to local schools last year. About 25 went to UM students and the other 5 were divided between St. Thomas, NOVA, and FIU.

This kind of hiring criteria is very common in Miami. It's one thing to pick a state school but it's quite another to pick a tier 4 state school.

FIU is/was a tier 3 state school. 

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2009, 08:50:18 PM »

I've had a job. Worked for a company named Goldman Sachs, you might have heard of them. LOL at some attorney for a no name law firm telling me to get a job.

... You left GS to go to law school? At SMU?

Isis

• Divinely Inspired & Victoriously Anointed!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2009, 02:13:03 AM »
Wow, you guys have me laughing over here   :D  --- but I'm taking note. Thanks to all.

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 11:03:24 PM »

I've had a job. Worked for a company named Goldman Sachs,

Oh Ive heard of them, but I thought is was Goldman's Sackz. They had a store in the mall right next the KB Toys and the cheese log place. I got a big gold plated M from them on a chain back during my white rapper phase. I was gonna get a grill too, but the stones they had were blood diamonds, and Im against that because Bono told me its bad.

Well, I taught at MIT.

Really. I worked for a company run by one of their profs and taught a programming refresher to new hires in one of their lecture halls during the summer, so I taught at MIT!  ::)

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 08:46:34 PM »

First time being back on this site since law school started. Yea, I left GS to go to SMU. Wanted to take a shot a working in sports since that is what I'm really interested in. If things don't work out I'd go back to GS before taking a no name small firm job like the guy above lol.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 08:48:33 PM »

First time being back on this site since law school started. Yea, I left GS to go to SMU. Wanted to take a shot a working in sports since that is what I'm really interested in. If things don't work out I'd go back to GS before taking a no name small firm job like the guy above lol.