Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMiami vs. FIU  (Read 10416 times)

WKRUSE

Re: UMiami vs. FIU
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 12:52:25 PM »
Thanks.  I got a kick out of the responses.  I should have learned better than to try to help.  I don't make six figures; very few first year lawyers do.  And you may be choking on those words when you graduate and realize that you didn't graduate in the top ten and only make five figures, and have three times the debt to pay. 
It is truly amazing the difference in peoples' views once they graduate.  We have a young lawyer division of the bar association here.  We get together for happy hours, etc.  It is amazing how many times people tell me they wish they went to a state school and weren't so in debt. 
I only check this website every few months, and it always makes me chuckle.  Thanks for the laugh; talk to me when you graduate and pass the bar.  Until then, no offense, but you don't know jack.

As for posting my salary.  One day you may also realize that posting all your private information on the web is not the best idea.  There are some things that should be private.  The first thing I did when I started looking for work was to take down my facebook and myspace pages.  Believe it or not, the whole world doesn't need to know everything about you.  Whether or not my firm would check on line or not is not the issue.  They asked that my salary remain private when they hired me, and I am respecting their wishes.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 01:36:54 PM »
In general, a lot of pre-laws and even people in law school have woefully unrealistic salary expectations. After they start looking for work, they have a rude awakening when they see what things are really like.

In my opinion, there are perhaps 10-15 law schools that are maybe worth taking out big loans for. Depending on the individual situation, it may not even be worth it for a particular person to take out those loans at one of those 10-15 schools. This is why I always tell people to consider their in-state school. Or obtain residency somewhere, even it means getting a job for a few years before going to law school.

hurricane,

Good luck with sports law. The field is very small and very competitive. I took a class with an adjunct prof who works on big player contracts, stadium deals, etc. He also brought in one of his colleagues as a guest speaker and they spoke about how they got into the field. Both of them had gone to top ten law schools, and worked as big firm lawyers and corp counsel for several years before settling into the work they do now.

I don't know anything about your connections, but I do know that most peoples' connections are not as good as they think. You may find yourself doing very different work than you intended for a lot less money.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »
In general, a lot of pre-laws and even people in law school have woefully unrealistic salary expectations.

And work expectations. I look forward to talking to another group of people next year that are going to make $160k doing international/sports law.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »
Thanks.  I got a kick out of the responses.  I should have learned better than to try to help.  I don't make six figures; very few first year lawyers do.  And you may be choking on those words when you graduate and realize that you didn't graduate in the top ten and only make five figures, and have three times the debt to pay. 
It is truly amazing the difference in peoples' views once they graduate.  We have a young lawyer division of the bar association here.  We get together for happy hours, etc.  It is amazing how many times people tell me they wish they went to a state school and weren't so in debt.  I only check this website every few months, and it always makes me chuckle.  Thanks for the laugh; talk to me when you graduate and pass the bar.  Until then, no offense, but you don't know jack.

As for posting my salary.  One day you may also realize that posting all your private information on the web is not the best idea.  There are some things that should be private.  The first thing I did when I started looking for work was to take down my facebook and myspace pages.  Believe it or not, the whole world doesn't need to know everything about you.  Whether or not my firm would check on line or not is not the issue.  They asked that my salary remain private when they hired me, and I am respecting their wishes.

I'm sure they meant a state school such as UF or FSU, not a school like FIU where the #1 kid in their class makes 5 figures lol. What happens if you don't finish in the top at FIU? LOL

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 05:31:31 PM »
In general, a lot of pre-laws and even people in law school have woefully unrealistic salary expectations. After they start looking for work, they have a rude awakening when they see what things are really like.

In my opinion, there are perhaps 10-15 law schools that are maybe worth taking out big loans for. Depending on the individual situation, it may not even be worth it for a particular person to take out those loans at one of those 10-15 schools. This is why I always tell people to consider their in-state school. Or obtain residency somewhere, even it means getting a job for a few years before going to law school.

hurricane,

Good luck with sports law. The field is very small and very competitive. I took a class with an adjunct prof who works on big player contracts, stadium deals, etc. He also brought in one of his colleagues as a guest speaker and they spoke about how they got into the field. Both of them had gone to top ten law schools, and worked as big firm lawyers and corp counsel for several years before settling into the work they do now.

I don't know anything about your connections, but I do know that most peoples' connections are not as good as they think. You may find yourself doing very different work than you intended for a lot less money.

I could live with that, as long as I have a shot at my goals. What I couldn't live is going to a school where finishing #1 in my class gives me a $50,000 job and finishing in the middle makes me jobless.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »
In general, a lot of pre-laws and even people in law school have woefully unrealistic salary expectations.

And work expectations. I look forward to talking to another group of people next year that are going to make $160k doing international/sports law.

If you're refering to me, neither one of those are my goals.. I want to be a sports agent..

WKRUSE

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 05:52:54 PM »
I like how you assume how much I make.  That's funny.  Not accurate...and funny.
Like I said, talk to me when you actually know something.  Graduate, pass the bar, get a job.  Until then, you're clueless, and your posts show it.
By the way, I didn't graduate first in my class.  I was 7th.

Several weeks ago, I met a UM law alum who moved to Knoxville, TN.  I was there for a deposition, and we ended up sitting next to each other at a bar my first evening in town.  His views on where he would have gone to school were much different sitting at that bar than when he went into school as a 1L. 

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 07:53:09 PM »
I like how you assume how much I make.  That's funny.  Not accurate...and funny.
Like I said, talk to me when you actually know something.  Graduate, pass the bar, get a job.  Until then, you're clueless, and your posts show it.

I am talking to you. How much are you making?  Do you expect to make any bonus at all? Do you expect a raise next year?

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »
Like I said, talk to me when you actually know something.  Graduate, pass the bar, get a job.  Until then, you're clueless, and your posts show it.By the way, I didn't graduate first in my class.  I was 7th.

Several weeks ago, I met a UM law alum who moved to Knoxville, TN.  I was there for a deposition, and we ended up sitting next to each other at a bar my first evening in town.  His views on where he would have gone to school were much different sitting at that bar than when he went into school as a 1L. 

I've had a job. Worked for a company named Goldman Sachs, you might have heard of them. LOL at some attorney for a no name law firm telling me to get a job.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 10:16:24 PM »
Like I said, talk to me when you actually know something.  Graduate, pass the bar, get a job.  Until then, you're clueless, and your posts show it.By the way, I didn't graduate first in my class.  I was 7th.

I've had a job. Worked for a company named Goldman Sachs, you might have heard of them. LOL at some attorney for a no name law firm telling me to get a job.

Some lady with no high school diploma is working for Goldman Sachs as a cleaning lady. Your statement above means nothing with details as to what you did at Goldman Sachs.