Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMiami vs. FIU  (Read 9743 times)

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UMiami vs. FIU
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 02:13:58 PM »
UMiami is really only a good idea if you can afford to pay your tuition up front, in cash. Or if you have a fat scholarship with no 1L gpa strings attached. There is no way UMiami is worth taking out $180-200K in loans for.

WKRUSE

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »

What's Complex, Jones Act, and FELA Litigation? 

How many hours do you work per week? How much do you make per year? 
[/quote]

Jones Act and the FELA are fed statutes.  I represent injured railroad workers and seamen against the railroads and maritime shipping companies.

Complex Litigation is multi-party, multi-issue litigation and multi-district litigation.  Class action suits involving ground water contamination, securities violations, etc. are prime examples.

I'm not about to disclose what I make on a public message board, but will tell you it is ahead of the mean for a first year associate on the salary bell curve publised by salary.com for both Miami and St. Louis.

As for how much I work, well, that depends.  Some weeks, it is only about 45 hours.  Others, I am putting in time on Saturday.  Some weeks, I will have to travel out of state on Sunday afternoon to be at a hearing first thing Monday morning.  If you count travel time, the hours really add up.  But, it is still nowhere near the missery that comes with big law. 
One of my good friends, a partner for a big firm, has a wife who is also an attorney.  She started at a big firm as well, but quit after five years.  She worked 60-80 hour weeks, and would not be home during daylight for weeks on end.  She took a substantial pay cut to go work for a solo, and hasn't looked back since.  That was several years ago.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 05:11:40 PM »

What's Complex, Jones Act, and FELA Litigation? 

How many hours do you work per week? How much do you make per year? 

Jones Act and the FELA are fed statutes.  I represent injured railroad workers and seamen against the railroads and maritime shipping companies.

Complex Litigation is multi-party, multi-issue litigation and multi-district litigation.  Class action suits involving ground water contamination, securities violations, etc. are prime examples.

I'm not about to disclose what I make on a public message board, but will tell you it is ahead of the mean for a first year associate on the salary bell curve publised by salary.com for both Miami and St. Louis.

As for how much I work, well, that depends.  Some weeks, it is only about 45 hours.  Others, I am putting in time on Saturday.  Some weeks, I will have to travel out of state on Sunday afternoon to be at a hearing first thing Monday morning.  If you count travel time, the hours really add up.  But, it is still nowhere near the missery that comes with big law. 
One of my good friends, a partner for a big firm, has a wife who is also an attorney.  She started at a big firm as well, but quit after five years.  She worked 60-80 hour weeks, and would not be home during daylight for weeks on end.  She took a substantial pay cut to go work for a solo, and hasn't looked back since.  That was several years ago.
[/quote]

So, on average, you work from 8 am till 6 pm, more or less?

You don't have to tell us exactly how much you make, just some range.  Is it:

A) Less than 40K

B) 40K - 60K

C) 60K - 80K

D) More than 80K

Do you get bonuses, if so, how often and how much can you expect to get? 

How much do you expect ot make next year?

WKRUSE

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 05:40:18 PM »
-sorry.  Not going to discuss salary on a public message board.  My firm would severly frown on that, and I'm not about to risk my job.

The bottom line is that going to FIU worked for me, helped me pass the bar, taught me how to be a good lawyer, and didn't in any way keep me from finding employment.  The bonus is that I owe a small fraction of what other young lawyers do, so my quality of life (home, travel, fun, etc.) is much easier to maintain.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »
-sorry.  Not going to discuss salary on a public message board.  My firm would severly frown on that, and I'm not about to risk my job.

The bottom line is that going to FIU worked for me, helped me pass the bar, taught me how to be a good lawyer, and didn't in any way keep me from finding employment.  The bonus is that I owe a small fraction of what other young lawyers do, so my quality of life (home, travel, fun, etc.) is much easier to maintain.

1. you firm is not on law school discussion checking to see if people are posting salaries.

2. you haven't even named what firm you work for, so how the hell would they frown on "random nameless firm pays random attorney between 40-60k?? wtf

3. salary.com has extremely low salaries for their median, that doesnt tell us anything.

My guess is you make somewhere in the mid 5 figure rang  and don't want to admit it since your point was to show how going to FIU worked out. I for one would never go to law school to begin with if making a mid 5 figure salary was the best outcome.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 09:01:06 PM »
iamhurricane, where do you go to school?

I'm at a t14 and I can tell you that many "going to graduate soon" people at my school and at other top schools will be thankful if they can find a job that makes "mid five figures" in the current economy. Most students who haven't looked for a job or haven't seen what law is like outside of the big firms have no idea why kind of salaries are out there for most law grads.

To be fair, WKRUSE did very well in law school and might not have had the same results if he was middle or bottom half at FIU.

AND I still think knowing and meeting the right people (i.e. networking) is very important for those looking for a job outside of OCI, regardless of what rank your school is. If you're not at a top school or at the top of your class, chances of getting a job through OCI are practically non-existent.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 09:18:40 PM »
iamhurricane, where do you go to school?

I'm at a t14 and I can tell you that many "going to graduate soon" people at my school and at other top schools will be thankful if they can find a job that makes "mid five figures" in the current economy. Most students who haven't looked for a job or haven't seen what law is like outside of the big firms have no idea why kind of salaries are out there for most law grads.

To be fair, WKRUSE did very well in law school and might not have had the same results if he was middle or bottom half at FIU.

AND I still think knowing and meeting the right people (i.e. networking) is very important for those looking for a job outside of OCI, regardless of what rank your school is. If you're not at a top school or at the top of your class, chances of getting a job through OCI are practically non-existent.

If you knew how the economy would turn out 3 years ago would you have gone to law school? Probably not. If I didnt expect the economy to turn around by the time I graduate I wouldn't go to law school, period. I'm starting at SMU this fall. I'm in the part time program just in case the economy takes longer to recover, I can buy myself another year if needed. I can also transfer to full time if the economy turns around quickly like i predict.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »
iamhurricane, I hate to break it to you, but the odds of you finding a six figure job are not good AT ALL, even in a good economy. Let me guess, you bought into the salary stats that the school publishes? Or the idea that lawyers all make a lot of money? Especially since SMU is a "tier one" school? Those mid five figure jobs are only for the people at tier 2/3/4 schools right? Think again.

Also, the economy may not turn around in 3-4 years, at least in re: to big firm hiring. Keep in mind most big firm recruiting happens fall of your 2L year, so if the firms don't think things look good for the future, they're going to be cautious.

As for myself, I would have still gone to law school, but I never wanted to work at a big firm, and most non-big firm jobs do not approach six figures.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 10:25:23 PM »
iamhurricane, I hate to break it to you, but the odds of you finding a six figure job are not good AT ALL, even in a good economy. Let me guess, you bought into the salary stats that the school publishes? Or the idea that lawyers all make a lot of money? Especially since SMU is a "tier one" school? Those mid five figure jobs are only for the people at tier 2/3/4 schools right? Think again.

Also, the economy may not turn around in 3-4 years, at least in re: to big firm hiring. Keep in mind most big firm recruiting happens fall of your 2L year, so if the firms don't think things look good for the future, they're going to be cautious.

As for myself, I would have still gone to law school, but I never wanted to work at a big firm, and most non-big firm jobs do not approach six figures.

In a good economy I would have about a 25% chance. Not great odds definitely better than "not good at all". Besides, I'm banking on my connects to get me into sports law. I'm just sayin, I would never go to law school if doing "well" as in top 10 percent of your class can only get you a 40k-60k job. That's just crazy to me. You would be making more than that at whatever job you took out of undergrad after 3 years while working less hours.

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 12:58:16 AM »
I would recommend Miami. If you do ultimately pursue a PI career, you can switch your government loans to the income sensitive repayment plan and after 10 years, your loan will be discharged (as long as you stay in PI). Furthermore, if you change your mind for some reason, Miami will provide you with better options in private practice.

Do you know much about finances? 

Yes...
2L and counting...