Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IU vs. Suffolk  (Read 985 times)

EricN

• View Profile
IU vs. Suffolk
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:29:59 PM »
I know IU Bloomington is a much better school, but Suffolk gave me $25k a year, whereas IU gave me $5k a year (possibly more, says the admissions woman). Does anyone have any thoughts as to which school I should be attending?  Can anyone help me out?

edit:
Info:
3.75 GPA
157 LSAT

Reasons to stay in boston:  I have all but committed to living with a friend of mine who's going to BU.  Also closer to home, I know people in Boston, and I think I might ultimately be happier having a career in Boston than most other places.  Also, serious girlfriend lives in NYC and will settle in Boston (but that is a secondary consideration).

thanks
Eric

edit #2: I heard that IU Bloomington jumped to number 23 this year.  Does that make this a no-brainer?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: IU vs. Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
If you want to live in Boston or in the Northeast after Law School you should go to Suffolk. IU-B is good school, on the rise, but it won't open doors for you in Boston or NE. If you go to IU-B you will have a good chance of ending up in the Midwest, i.e. Chicago, Indianapolis, etc. and from what I have heard the near south, Louisville, Cincinnati etc. IU-B is a better school no doubt, but the money from Suffolk is good. Decide where you would rather live and go to school based on that, IMO.

EricN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »
Update on the situation:

IU-B has upped my scholarship to $10,000 a year (off the wait list no less...)

Also, a consideration is transferring.  I am by no means counting on this, but if I were to transfer out of my school, which school would better allow me to transfer to the east coast (DC, NYC, Boston, Philly preferably)?  It seems that being in a T1 school would better allow me to transfer to a T1 school on the east coast even if it's far away, as opposed to going from a T4 school to a T1 school in the area.

I have to make my decision by monday, so any timely help would be greatly appreciated.

Bigbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 08:12:37 PM »
If I were in your shoes I'd retake the LSAT. I know it sucks to wait a year, but you could get a good internship or be a paralegal for a year and reapply and get into much better choices.

That said, it's really about where you want to practice. New England or the midwest. That's all you're really talking about here.

But do yourself a favor and retake.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:20:39 AM »
Indiana no question.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

EricN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
I accepted at Indiana. Best choice

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 07:15:43 PM »
I accepted at Indiana. Best choice

Good decision. Ye shall not regret it.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.