Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: quasi-journal: worth-joining?  (Read 629 times)

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
quasi-journal: worth-joining?
« on: June 17, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »
My school has 4 major journals (besides law review). There is also a program/ quasi-journal with an editorial board or something.

I must wait till mid-July to know whether I am selected for LR and secondary journals. since there are multiple factors as to whether I will write on, I now wonder if I should just join this quasi-journal ....

the topic is definitely not boring. But how good will it look on my resume? I do not intend to cheat them or anything. but I might/ might not be able to put 'journal' on my resume (have to double check on this)

I am asking this question because due to personal issues .. my GPA leaves much to be desired. Yet I do have some interviews lined up even before OCI, at some diversity job fairs.

I am afraid that my sub-par GPA will be frowned upon - though they certainly know my GPA anyway.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: quasi-journal: worth-joining?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:06:11 PM »
can you do both the quasi-journal and another journal?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:47:29 PM »
What is your GPA? It may not be as bad as you think?

Odds are the quasi-journal is a waste of time. You'd be better off spending your free time doing a part-time internship during the academic year to get some work experience.

Law review might give you a major boost if your GPA is truly bad. But if your school weighs GPA in addition to the writing competition in order to select LR you might not have a very good shot. Depending on the secondary journals we're talking about and what kind of school you're at, that may be a complete waste of time also.

Do not even think about "fudging" anything on your resume.

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
I've decided not to join the quasi-journal now ..

thanks for your feedback.
(the secondary journals at my T20 do help -- according to 3Ls)

I think I did a good job on the write-on, but I feel strongly that the grading of the entries could be very subjective.

I did a term-time internship last semester. For this coming fall semester I've decided to defer an internship (with a judge) so that I can dedicate more time to interviews and stuff.

I already got very good summer internships this year.

well, maybe I should dedicate more time to myself .... for inner peace.