Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tell me what firms to bid on  (Read 2709 times)

eat it

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tell me what firms to bid on
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:05:55 PM »
Looking at NYC, coming from a T10 school with a slightly above median GPA (significant improvement second semester), probably an above-average interviewer.  Thinking litigation.  I get 25 bids.

So far:
Paul Weiss
Weil Gotshal

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me what firms to bid on
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »
Looking at NYC, coming from a T10 school with a slightly above median GPA (significant improvement second semester), probably an above-average interviewer.  Thinking litigation.  I get 25 bids.

So far:
Paul Weiss
Weil Gotshal

Do any employers (not necessarily just firms) care about this?  Does it depend on how big a jump it is?

(I don't really have any suggestions.)
At least I can f-ing think.

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »

So far:
Paul Weiss
Weil Gotshal

Cleary, Skadden, Latham, Ropes & Gray.  Actually, I'll post mine:

1.   Skadden Arps
2.   Baker & McKenzie
3.   Sidley Austin
4.   Kirkland & Ellis
5.   Mayer Brown
6.   Ropes Gray
7.   DLA Piper
8.   Winston & Strawn
9.   McDermott Will & Emery
10.   Cleary Gottlieb
11.   Vedder Price
12.   Latham & Watkins
13.   Foley
14.   Jones Day
15.   Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker
16.   Quarles & Brady
17.   Reed Smith
18.   Davis Polk & Wardwell

That's what I have so far.  I am focusing on Chicago, most, if not all of these have offices in NYC.  About litigation, look at the vault ranking for litigation.  I don't have that list in front of me.  good luck, I have a feeling this fall OCI is going to be a bloodbath.

cheers.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:22:40 PM »
the nutjobs at autoadmit are saying paul hastings' NALP data says they aren't hiring SAs for 2010.  I presume you're a 2L...

just FYI...prob not worth a bid if they aren't going to hire, unless you're into sympathy lays.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 10:46:47 AM »
We have a 30 bid limit?  @#!*.  I stayed up till 4am last night writing cover letters and trying to think of reasons why every single one of those middle-of-nowhere northeastern cities was the perfect fit for me.
Emory 2L
LSN

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 11:08:03 AM »
We have a 30 bid limit?  I just prepared resumes/cover letters for 53 employers.  @#!*.  Do you realize how hard it was to find reasons why every one of those middle-of-nowhere northeastern cities were the perfect fit for me?

I may be wrong here (probably completely wrong), but can't you still apply to firms that you don't bid on?  It just wouldn't be a part of OCI, right?  So if a firm chooses, they could interview you nonetheless.  However, I know at my school we have a policy where you're not allowed to send your resume to OCI firms separately (I'm not sure if that's the case at all schools).

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Someone suggested Ropes.  Great firm and great practice areas.  Their NY office is pretty focused on IP lit.  I believe most of the NY lit department is IP, so that should be a consideration.

I did OCI twice: NY & DC.  Pretty focused on strait lit although Ill probably do IP.  This is who I though was worth it:

1. Kirkland
2. Skadden
3. Cleary
4. Cooley
5. Davis
6. Paul Weis
7. Sulcrom
8. Ropes
9. Wachtell
10. Latham

There are a few others, but this is who I applied to (except Wachtell)

I approached it like law school apps.  I went on Nalp, found the firms with a lit practice that paid market.  I looked through to make sure they had more than just a token lit group (firms with only 4-5 attorneys in a group are unlikely to take on new attorneys in that group) and didnt just have small NY offices.  Then, I went through Vault and made sure to select a few reaches, a few safeties, and a bunch in the middle.  With the economy, who really knows right now what will happen though.

anonymousposter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 12:49:20 PM »
I'll jump on board, I'm looking at corporate work in New York.  I have poor grades at Harvard [1 H, 1 LP, the rest Ps].  Who do I even bother trying to interview with?  I expect I'm bottom third.