Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does it make sense to record class discussions???  (Read 988 times)

chukoo321

• View Profile
    • Email
Does it make sense to record class discussions???
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »
Just wondering if recording class discussions helps any while studying? I know alot of professors may not allow it but i think it may be beneficial..... ;D any opinions will be helpful!!!

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does it make sense to record class discussions???
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:03:42 PM »
Even if they did allow it...why? You will not have time to listen to class discussions multiple times. This would be a poor use of your time.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:35:38 PM »
Just wondering if recording class discussions helps any while studying? I know alot of professors may not allow it but i think it may be beneficial..... ;D any opinions will be helpful!!!

Do you learn better by listening? Will you actually listen to the lectures again, on a regular basis? Did you do it in undergrad?

I think recording lectures can be especially useful for people who have longish commutes, since they can review especially difficult classes while they're driving. For me though, I've tried this, since I learn best by listening, but I could never make myself go back and listen through all the crap :(
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »

Right.  Some of my classes were podcasted from time to time, and obviously I made it a point to skip those classes, and I definitely never got around to listening to that poo. 

See, I actually found these to be very helpful.  I have attention problems when trying to listen to something, so it was great to be able to rewind whenever I realized I'd gotten distracted for any substantial period.  I'd spend half an hour extra doing that, and made better use of the time when I skipped class.

Also, FWIW, my dad taped all his lectures both in law school and his LLM.  I think it was a relatively popular strategy then, probably because it was the late 80s-early 90s when tiny tape recorders were available but laptops were not.  I have no idea if he actually found it helpful because I was like 8 years old, but it makes me think that it might be useful if you're a terrible typer or just can't listen and take good notes at the same time. 

At least I can f-ing think.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:18:29 PM »
Me?   :-[

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:35:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm used to disc.  Or Joey Ramone, from Wally.

How's your summer going?