Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech vs STCL?  (Read 1380 times)

ltrevin2

• View Profile
Texas Tech vs STCL?
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:52:13 AM »
I have been accepted to Texas Tech and STCL. I am originally from Houston, but have lived in Austin for years. I am torn between what school would be the better choice for me. I'm not sure I will like living in Lubbock or what school would be better for me in the long run. Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Tech vs STCL?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:35:07 AM »
I have been accepted to Texas Tech and STCL. I am originally from Houston, but have lived in Austin for years. I am torn between what school would be the better choice for me. I'm not sure I will like living in Lubbock or what school would be better for me in the long run. Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated

Tell us about the cost differences at the end of the three years. 

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:24:55 PM »

I feel like I can weigh in on your dilemma to a certain extent.
For full disclosure purposes, I've lived in both Austin and Amarillo (which is plenty like Lubbock), and, while Lubbock doesn't afford a college student the vast cultural opportunities that Austin and Houston do, there are a significant amount of perks to living in a rural city like Lubbock.  Parking, COL, and other subtle perks help offset the lack of "culture" that Lubbock might be able to offer.

Additionally, Texas Tech is T3 with a tuition cost about half of that at South Texas.  From a career standpoint, you can still easily end up back in the Austin/Houston area with a degree from Texas Tech; one of the senior partners at the firm I currently work for got his JD at Texas Tech.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »
Texas Tech
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

blergh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 08:57:29 PM »
I've visited Tech, and its a pretty nice campus, and they seem to be doing some updating as well.  I think you'd have a better chance of employment after graduation at Tech.  Besides, their cost of tuition is one of the most (if not the most) affordable in the state!  Besides I personally would worry about mixing reputations (South Texas vs Texas Southern)

Hope this was helpful!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:05:25 PM »
I've visited Tech, and its a pretty nice campus, and they seem to be doing some updating as well.  I think you'd have a better chance of employment after graduation at Tech.  Besides, their cost of tuition is one of the most (if not the most) affordable in the state!  Besides I personally would worry about mixing reputations (South Texas vs Texas Southern)

Hope this was helpful!

That's BS, except the low tuition part ofcourse. Most South Texas grads stay in Texas or Houston and hiring partners in Houston know the difference between South Texas and that law school. 

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 03:10:38 PM »
Tech, by a longshot. STCL isn't worth cost, plain and simple.

What Contract said is basically irrelevant b/c none of these schools places legions of grads in large firms. Those jobs, coming from either of these schools are restricted to the very, very top of the class.

After law school and after you've passed the TX bar, you will be looking for a job at a small general practice firm with less than 10 attorneys coming out of either school. Either that or you will end up at a DA/PD's office (if you're lucky) or start your own solo practice.

What I'm saying is, the chances of you making the big bucks right out of school are so slim that it is in your best interest to go to the cheapest school.

If you want to work in Houston or Austin, your best bet is to put a lot of effort into finding a way to spend your summers working in one of those places, even if it means doing an unpaid internship at the local DA's office and staying with family.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »
Tech, by a longshot. STCL isn't worth cost, plain and simple.

What Contract said is basically irrelevant b/c none of these schools places legions of grads in large firms. Those jobs, coming from either of these schools are restricted to the very, very top of the class.

big-fat-box is just that, with a mindless, clueless brain just like an empty big fat box. 

Please be advised that even small firms with less than 10 attorneys still have hiring partners.  And, they do care whether you to to South Texas or Texas Southern. 

blergh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:34:05 PM »
You're just one big ray of sunshine, aren't you?

The OP hasn't even stated that they wanted to stay in the Houston area, and Tech has better stats and I think a better reputation, so I figure it would have better transferability.
And what I said about the differences between STCL and TX Southern was my PERSONAL opinion.  Not anything to get worked up on.

Contract-you should really look into litigation.  That way you can still bite off everyone's head and at least get paid for it.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »
You're just one big ray of sunshine, aren't you?

The OP hasn't even stated that they wanted to stay in the Houston area, and Tech has better stats and I think a better reputation, so I figure it would have better transferability.
And what I said about the differences between STCL and TX Southern was my PERSONAL opinion.  Not anything to get worked up on.

Contract-you should really look into litigation.  That way you can still bite off everyone's head and at least get paid for it.

You have no idea.   ;D