Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring, targetting Dallas  (Read 3710 times)

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring, targetting Dallas
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:39:36 PM »
OP said he was at a school ranked around 60....so SMU wouldn't be a step up, except in terms of location and UT would be much better for that.

Although, if a school like SMU would take OP with a full-ride then that would definitely be something to think about...

don't forget SMU...

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 11:14:56 PM »
They fit well in Dallas, and UT isn't exactly the most easy-transfer-application-having school.  Go look how they handle LORs and their stupid fillable-pdf application.  Also, if your fondest wish is law review, you can't even get looked at til 3L...and you will get screwed with for registration.

I go to school in Texas for the time being, and we've heard that SMU isn't transfer-friendly either with the way they run their OCI...my knowledge on this is third hand.

Be that as it may, of all those schools, short of UT, I'd go to Vanderbilt or Virginia...people here love those names.  I know, since having one of them on my resume gives me all the street cred I need and a paying job as a 1L T4 student.

Lastly, fair warning, but telling people in Dallas about your ties to Houston is probably going to be a great way to get yourself laughed at.  Houston and Dallas have a special hatred in their hearts for each other...think Yankees/Red Sox sort of thing.  The cities are very different, and the legal communities are very separate.  If you are a straight-up outsider, Houston is the superior choice, because it is far more welcoming.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
They fit well in Dallas, and UT isn't exactly the most easy-transfer-application-having school.  Go look how they handle LORs and their stupid fillable-pdf application.  Also, if your fondest wish is law review, you can't even get looked at til 3L...and you will get screwed with for registration.
I agree, the application wasn't the easiest to put together, but it's already sent.  Actually, it is nice to know that everything arrived in one package instead of wondering if my transcript or letter of good standing have been delivered.

In looking at large firm associate profiles, it looks like people have no problem getting hired without law review.  Do you have any other insight on this? 

What do you mean screwed with for registration?

Be that as it may, of all those schools, short of UT, I'd go to Vanderbilt or Virginia...
I thought about applying to Vanderbilt as well and I may still throw in an application. 

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »
I've heard, second hand, that getting classes/profs you want is hard because you're considered to have zero standing, so you're dead last.  I'm not applying there, so I didn't call registrar and ask. It's probably nothing anyway. 

I don't think law review matters except for the gonzo-sized law firms and clerkships...I wasn't sure if that was something you want as a must have. 

Also, please do me a favor and don't apply to Vandy...I did.  You get UT, and I get VU...sound good? 
Proving there is redemption in this world...

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »
If you're dead-set on working in TX, UT is not a bad choice since it will establish a "tie" with Texas.  From what I understand, Texas firms are rather insular, and they want to make sure that you're going to stay there.  That's a tough sell (though not impossible) if you don't have anything on your resume to show a link to Texas.