Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring, targetting Dallas  (Read 3741 times)

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Transferring, targetting Dallas
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »
With no ties to the state other than my wife lived in Houston as a child, is UT the clear (only) choice here?  Would Chicago, UVA, Berkeley, Duke, GULC or Vanderbilt make any sense if Dallas is where I wanted to end up next summer?

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring, targetting Dallas
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »
If you are sure about wanting to end up in Dallas I would say so. You also have to remember that the tuition is much better at UT as well compared to those other schools.

With no ties to the state other than my wife lived in Houston as a child, is UT the clear (only) choice here?  Would Chicago, UVA, Berkeley, Duke, GULC or Vanderbilt make any sense if Dallas is where I wanted to end up next summer?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 05:26:32 AM »
UT. Everywhere else is fine, but Texas is already right there. No sense in going anywhere else if that's where you want to end up. And don't discount the value of the UT name in Texas and the surrounding states.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:53:26 AM »
I thought out-of-state tuition at UT was going to increase to over $40,000 this coming year.  Their website is showing ~$36k currently.  It's not a huge difference, but thanks for pointing that out.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:55:36 AM »
I would go with Chicago or UT. Obviously UT does well in Texas, but Chicago is a major heavyweight in the legal world. If I were you I'd probably go to Chicago.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 10:06:20 AM »
UT, Chicago, or UVA would be your best options.  I would go with Chicago or UVA if I got in, because you never know if you really want to stay in Dallas forever.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:58:31 AM »
Ideally you would've spent this summer working in TX in order to develop ties. What type of school are you transferring from? Have you actually gotten into these schools yet?

Anyway, given the current state of the job market (really bad) it would behoove you to go to the school where hiring dips the farthest into the class. Here, that would be Chicago hands down. My next choice would be Berkeley (mainly b/c of the no rank & no grades policy). One major advantage that Chicago has is it's small class size. Regardless of what anyone tells you, it's a lot harder to place students in a larger class, even if they are ranked about the same.

Texas is not a national school. If finding a job in TX doesn't work out you won't have access to the national job market in the same way you would if you went to a more national school.

Re: tuition, since you are out of state you aren't going to save much by going to Texas over say, Chicago.

Good luck.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 11:18:20 AM »
Ideally you would've spent this summer working in TX in order to develop ties. What type of school are you transferring from? Have you actually gotten into these schools yet?

I'm coming from a school around 60, better than top 5%.

I have only been accepted by GULC(EA), but my GPA and rank increased a bit.  I'm not expecting Chicago, Columbia, or NYU to come through, but I may have a shot at Berkeley, Virginia, or Michigan. 

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 01:37:41 PM »
All you can do at this point is wait then. Good luck. I wouldn't go to GULC over any of the schools you mentioned below. In the current economy, GULC students are really going to be hurting because of the huge class size.

I have only been accepted by GULC(EA), but my GPA and rank increased a bit.  I'm not expecting Chicago, Columbia, or NYU to come through, but I may have a shot at Berkeley, Virginia, or Michigan. 

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »
don't forget SMU...
Proving there is redemption in this world...